In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dehumidifier

vette81vette81 Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
any one tell me where to find a good Dehumidifier for a gun safe.

Comments

• Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midsouth shooters has the cheapest price I found on Golden Rods. Buy the largest one that will fit in your safe.
  • Options
    Wease01Wease01 Member Posts: 216 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eva-Dry. Amazon.com seems to have the best prices. Get a large one.
  • Options
    otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peet, the outfit that makes the boot dryers, makes a gun safe dehumidifier/heater. Just picked one up at the local sporting goods store for about $22.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heard rumors about dehumidifiers drying out wood stocks, any truth to this?
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard that and I would be more concerned with rust than that. The explanation they have on how the Golden rod works is they raise the safes inside temp a few degrees from the bottom up. forcing the cooler moist air out the vents or around the loose fitting door seals. It doesn't seem to really suck out moisture. But rather keeps the air circulating with warmer air from the bottom up. Keeping any condensation from forming. I'm not a very smart guy, just my take on it from the explanation and it's worked for me for years. I also use damp rid just in case it stops working. That is very easy to use. Fill the hopper with the beads. As they dissolve. Empty the catch container below and refill. No guess work.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The worst enemy of wood stocks (& wood furniture) is Forced Hot Air heat. If you don't have a humidifier, humidity inside your house can be close to 0% during the winter months; it may take 20-30 years, but eventually the wood will be ruined.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ordered a 18" golden rod and a Hygrometer to monitor the temp and humidty inside the safe.
    [:D]