In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Used Sig Sauer P229 Question

FastfwdFastfwd Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Ok, question on a used Sig P229 - owner says that it was owned by a leo before him and he doesn't know how many rounds have been through it and didn't volunteer how old it was (didn't think to ask). Does him looking to trade the frame without the rail sound fishy? Like maybe the gun is toast or is that a legitimate trade reason?

I'm no gunsmith. I'm afraid if I went to look at the gun I wouldn't know what to look for to know if it's worn out or not. Loose action I would guess, but how loose? Afraid that I would end up with a gun that wouldn't shoot and be stuck with it cuz I'm the only moron that would buy it. What should I look for?
Says he'll take $600 for it - which sounds like a decent price to me, but I haven't been gauging the market on them. This is sorta a spur of the moment idea to even think about buying. I know I love the P229 though - that's not spur of the moment.

Here is the ad:

"I have a Sig P229 in .40 caliber. This gun is used but not abused. I want to even trade frame for a P229 frame without the rail. Also, I would even trade this gun for a P229 or a P226(preferred) in .357 sig. I'd trade for a 226 in .40 as well. Message me with questions. I would add$ if a nice P226 came available."

There is also a brand new Glock 23 available with only 50 rounds through it, but it's a $50 drive away and I'm not sure that guy will compensate in his price for that. I would much prefer the Sig, but maybe it will have to wait until I can buy a newer condition Sig. I can't do much over $600 right now.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I just found another Sig P229 without the tactical rail, but with night sights and one clip - only 500 rounds fired through it and cleaned well for $550. It's a $30 drive away, but might be a much better deal?

Is $550 a pretty good deal on one if it's what the guy says? These go for around $700 new, huh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, guy just shot me a price of $500..... man, that sounds like a deal to me, but again, I haven't been pricing them to know any better. I just do know it's better than $600 on the questionably used one - mags/holster included or not. I realy couldn't care any less about the tactical rail. Cool option, but probably more bulky than I would like to have a light on it.....

Anyone have any advice? I'm about to get the cash and make the drive.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    'magazine' oops! one 'magazine' don't mean to rile up the gun enthusiasts LOL I do know the difference - my bad.

If there is no adivice against it - I'm out the door to the bank.....$700 retail going for $500 slightly used sounds like a decent deal to me. Can't see how could lose money on it really if I had to unload it.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would go for it
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fastfwd
    'magazine' oops! one 'magazine' don't mean to rile up the gun enthusiasts LOL I do know the difference - my bad.

If there is no adivice against it - I'm out the door to the bank.....$700 retail going for $500 slightly used sounds like a decent deal to me. Can't see how could lose money on it really if I had to unload it.

Fastfwd.....sounds like a good deal to me. I just bought a Sig P226 in 9mm with two mags from a DEAR friend for $400 and I would have paid him five for it if he would have taken it. Even had the blue Sig hard case[^]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't part with my 15 year old P229 for that and it has done some shooting. Spare magazines are readily available, usually about $30-40.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say shop around... Plenty of police trade in Sigs around here on GB. I saw some the other day for 450 without the rail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up the Sig. Wasn't exactly as advertised. Guy listed it as `500 rounds through it cleaned after every firing'..well, maybe HE shot only 500 rounds through it, but he bought it at a pawn shop - so he didn't even know how old it was.
    For $500 and after driving 120 miles to see it - I went ahead and bought it. Not in perfect condition, but it's in pretty damn good shape. Doesn't appear to have been a service weapon - which I would be leery of.

Thanks for the advice - even though I was on my way before I read any of it. LOL. I may be back for tips. If anyone knows of a source for magazines - I would be interested. I found this site on here already:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sigsauer.html

One mag isn't going to cut it.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Fastfwd.......man, I found out quick how expensive Sig mags are! Some companies want $30+ for them, and the aftermarket ones ain't cheap either. But I need five more for my little attache case I carry mine in so I held my nose and went to the gunshop and picked me up five. Figured I only had to buy them one time so I held my nose and bought them. Fortunately my local gunshop had a bunch in stock for my 226 and I didn't have to pay those awful shipping charges. So you might try your local gunshop and the auction side of GB. Good luck[^]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Keep an eye out for MecGar aftermarket SIG magazines.

They were the actual manufacturer of SIG's OEM pistol mags up until not long ago and can usually be had for less - simply because they aren't stamped with SIG's logo.