In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

thoughts on Llama .45's?

snuffysgatsnuffysgat Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Got an itch fer a .45 so I been eyeballin' them Llama mini-max(?) sub-compacts. Price looks good compared to a Colt(fixed income here) but I also know you usually get what you pay for. Notice they do have a lifetime warranty. So what's the groupthink on these things? Got a 23 years ago and am happy as can be. Will a Llama be equal to Glock? Or should I keep saving me pennies?
Thanks in advance,
Snuffy

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Llamas are a hit and miss proposition.If you expect them to be as good as a gun thats twice the price,it just doesn't usually happen.I happen to have a Llama that I like.
    [:D]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would look at the EAA witness 45acp compact. Price is very good and this is a dependable hand gun. My 2 cents

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience w/ Llama is that their quality control is inconsistent as heck. I think it best to save up a couple more bucks and go for one of the better quality pistols. You've got Rock Island Armory's at $400 or a little less. Charles Daley's at $500+/- Springfield Armory models at around $475 and up. All new gun prices and all pretty good values.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I had a Llama mini max double stack 45, but got rid of it. It would stovepipe at least once in ten rounds. I also questioned the durability of some of the parts, especially the safety/slide release detent pin housing. IT IS MADE OF PLASTIC! When switching the safety on or off you can see the housing bend up and down!

I ouce asked an oldtime dealer at a gunshow what he thought of Llamas. He said he had never seen one that wasn't broke.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junk with a capital J. Save your money.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    TrooperAllen469TrooperAllen469 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snuffysgat
    Got an itch fer a .45 so I been eyeballin' them Llama mini-max(?) sub-compacts. Price looks good compared to a Colt(fixed income here) but I also know you usually get what you pay for. Notice they do have a lifetime warranty. So what's the groupthink on these things? Got a 23 years ago and am happy as can be. Will a Llama be equal to Glock? Or should I keep saving me pennies?
    Thanks in advance,
    Snuffy

Last week someone posted a question about the Rock Island .45, so I ordered one. After cleaning the factory lube off, I ran 250+ rounds through it. I found it to be a good value for the money, reasonably accurate, and reliable with Remington Golden Sabres, Winchester SilverTips, and all hard ball except Wolf. In it's price category, I think that's your winner. It now is in the shop display case as a used weapon.
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Llama IX-A model 191l that I've had for five years. I've had a couple of stove pipes with it, but that was the surplus magazine I was using (I trashed it). It fires everything I've fed it, and I carry it more than my government issue Colt. But like others have stated, it can be a hit or miss proposition.

If you want a good functioning 45 auto, at a really reasonable price, check out the Bersa Thunder 45. Friend has one, between us we've put well over 1000 rounds through it without a failure or malfunction. It's going to be my next pistol.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the Llama 45 compacts a few years ago on sale for 175 bucks.Before I shot it I took it to the work bench and stoned the slide and frame rails and polished the throat and chamber and it was a very good pistol.It would shoot everything I loaded in it and I thought Llamas were fine,but I have seen enought negative feed back on them that I don't think I would buy another one.It looks like I was lucky with mine.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see why you are interested for that money. It is very similiar to a ParaOrdinance Wart Hog or a P10. I would suspect as all have said, you take the luck of the draw. If you want it to target shoot or if you can try one before you buy, knowing you might have to tune it some, probably OK. If this is a CCW idea, I would suggest looking at either a ParaOrdinance Wart Hog, P10, or 6.45LDA, A Kimber Ultra Carry, or the old reliable, a Springfield Ultra Compact Mil spec.
    The Para 6.45,Kimber ultra carry and the Springfield ultra compact are 6+1 3" guns, single stack, more concealable. The Springfield lists around $485 and a good value. Ten round frames can be a bit bulky and large gripped for some.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    an old style used llama are always a good choice and you can get a rock island for 300 not 400.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,879 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to second Contender Man on this one. I have a friend who carries a Llama and swears by it. I have heard others say they had nothing but trouble. I had a IX-A that worked fine most of the time. It had a stoppage where the next round would try to feed before the empty case was fully extracted. It did it with all 3 magazines. I had many suggestions on what might fix the problem. I sold it instead of working on it.

If you like the Llama, then buy one, but be prepared to tinker with it if you get a lemon.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

lafayette.gif

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly