In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Powder Help

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was just given a black powder rifle (.54 cal) from my father-in-law this past weekend. Unfortunately, he lives out-of-state and can't help me learn how to shoot it safely. Do any of you have any ideas on how to find a shop that would carry supplies and could give me some help on getting set up? I would prefer to find a store that really deals in this type of stuff, not the typical Bass Pro Shops, etc. I live in Dallas, TX.

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to Bass Pro and buy a CVA start-up kit. It should include a video that goes over how to load, shoot. and clean it.

Supplies are easy to find. I think a .54 uses FFg powder, which you can find at almost any guns shop. You can also use Pyrodex RS, which is the equivalent on a volume-basis. Triple 7 is a better propellant, but costs more, and has a different equivalency. I'm not sure what you have, but if it's an inline rifle (doubtful, but possible), consider using pellets. They don't work in anything but an inline, but make the loading task easier (they cost about 4X more, thhough). Also, if you're using a flintlock, you can only use blackpowder, not Pyrodex or Triple 7.

If you still need more info, consider contacting the shooting groups (don't hold me to it, but I think there's a National Muzzleloading Association, and a Black Powder Shooter's Association)--they can point you in the right direction. Also, check your local gun shops to see what they can tell you (particularly the one-man shops). However, if you buy there, you will pay 6X as much.

Best of luck, and happy shooting.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is to look in the Yellow pages under Gun Stores and see if theres any specialty Stores handling Black Power supplies. All You have to do is Find one Store that serves Muzzle Loader Shooters.....At that Point You'll have about everything You'll need!!!Help, Parts and Pieces and a New Bunch of Fellow Smokepole Enthusiests......I wish You Well.....................

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you did not mention what type of rifle If it is a flintlock you need to shoot REAL blackpowder and it is sometimes hard to find you will need both FFFF for the pan and either FFF or FF for the load. most flintlocks were for patched round ball and have a slow twist . then came percussion these may be for round ball or bullets and now we have "INLINE's" etc these can use either the real black powder or the "FAKE" stuff we need more infomation on what you have. Flintlocks are great fun to shoot but "MOST" shooters use the FAKE black powder guns . quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. The gun is a percussion gun. My father-in-law told me he shot FFF powder in it when he used it with round balls. I'll see if I can find a shop in town that carries the supplies.
  • Options
    LanceLance Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend you contact Don Zirkle <dons40cal@aol.com> to find a National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association charter club near you. You'll be welcome to join them to shoot, to learn to shoot.

It's fun and you won't need to reinvent the wheel.

Hope this helps