In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of colt detective special?

oldfiredrakeoldfiredrake Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just came by a 2nd issue D.S.,for $200. Thought it was a good buy but a fair price,gun is about 90% or better shape wise. But after looking on GB it would appear that I put to my friend,buy now prices for the same gun are around $350 or more. He needs the money so I don't want to screw him too bad,but I aint got DEEP pockets either!

Comments

• Options
    TrooperAllen469TrooperAllen469 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldfiredrake
    I just came by a 2nd issue D.S.,for $200. Thought it was a good buy but a fair price,gun is about 90% or better shape wise. But after looking on GB it would appear that I put to my friend,buy now prices for the same gun are around $350 or more. He needs the money so I don't want to screw him too bad,but I aint got DEEP pockets either!

Firearms values are often regional. Just because "that's what the book says", or GB, or anyone else , dosen't mean that you'll get that price in your area. Around here, a second issue Detective Spl will bring $250 MAXIMUM, even for a knickeled gun. There just isn't a demand for them. Inversely, you could make a good living buying old Browning A-5's elsewhere and selling them here in Georgia. If it was worth $200 to your friend at the time, you can both feel that you broke even.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TrooperAllen makes a lot of good points.

The "buy it now" or "starting" prices on online auctions do not tell you the real value of any gun. Many "sellers" are, in reality, just playing games. To find the "real" value of a gun, check the GB "completed" auctions for the last 90 days, & find a similar gun that was actually SOLD.

Neal
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on your Colt Detective Special. I recently bought one of the 2nd editions myself at a pawn shop for under $200. Price really varies on these. I wouldn't take $300 for it nor would I pay over $250 for another. I think $225-$250 for one in your gun's condition is average around my area of NC. The $200 you paid is a very good deal but you aren't cheating anyone. Enjoy your Colt. I think they are hard to beat.