In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester mod. 70 Westener

jnjbrintonjnjbrinton Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
What period did Winchester mfg. this model? What cals.? Barrel length? Weight? Todays value? Any info will be helpful.
Thanks
jnj

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Book says, 1960-63, 26" barrel, .264 Win. Mag. Very few were also made in .300 Win. Mag. with 24" tube.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Winchester "Westerner" was exclusively .264 Winchester Mag.It was introduced about 1960 and was offered with a 26" bbl at about 8lbs.The original M70 was distontinued in 1963, but Win continued to offer the post POS version of the Westerner only with a 24" bbl. The 264 was also offered in the standard version of the Pre-64 M70 with I believe a 22" bbl.Can't help ya with current value.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

Rufe- never knew they were made in 300 Mag . I just remember them in 264.I know they offered the 300 in the Standard, but not that they called it the Wesrerner.Of course, I consider Winchester left the real gunworld after 1963 so I never paid much attention after that[8D][8D]
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have the book with me right now so I'll have to get back to you on the prices. They also made a Westerner post 64 for awhile (Blue Book don't list it but Standard Catalogue does). Like I said I'll get back on dates and prices later.Welcome to the column.

Lance
    10's RULE
    [:D]

PS-guess HANGFIRE and I replied at the same time
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try search on this site as the Westerner has been brought up before.
    I own a .300 WinMag in a post 64. Internal magazine, no floor plate. Not near as valued as the pre-64's, but seems to shoot straight and is an attractive looking gun.