In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GUN OIL

PROWLERJUNKYPROWLERJUNKY Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was at the range last week and I was talking with a guy about what oil he uses after cleaning his gun. He told me he uses brake cleaner (to clean the parts) and dips all his parts in transmission fluid when putting his gun back together. Says it burns off the un-used oil in a shot or two...my question is.... is this a good way of doing it?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A DESERT EAGLE .44 AMONG OTHERS AND I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS OK TO USE SOMETHING LIKE STP SILICONE SPRAY INSTEAD OF REGULAR GUN OIL ON THE SPRINGS AND SUCH...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a rifle I don't shoot much, but I take it down and clean it every month. Been using REM OIL on it and in it. Just finished cleaning it again and noticed a slight amount of rust on the cleaning patches, through the bore and everywhere else. No pitting and it wasn't visable, but sure showed up on white patches. Anyone else had any problems with this stuff? Used Hoppes #9 this time, and I use it on all my other guns and haven't had any problems. All guns are stored together. Can anyone out there help me? -Ralph
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A few months back there was a discussion about good gun oils. One of you gents recommended one of the air rifle manufacturer's products.
    Which one and which of his oils was the recommendation?
    I appreciate the help.
    OleDuk[:)][:)]

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
    British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Prowlerjuncky,

Good question. I am not familiar with STP silicone spray but it sounds like an automobile product?

I suspect it wouldn't do any harm immediately, but I think I would stay with a good gun lubricant to protect my investment. These oils are designed for proper lubrication and rust prevention. I know some of the people on the forum have really strong opinions about this topic.

If I owned a fine piece like a Desert Eagle, I think I use an oil like Remington silicone or something similar just to hedge my bets on keeping the gun reliable and rust free.

Regards,

HI[:D]
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to lube the slides of my semi-auto's with some chain and cable lubricant. Available from Parts Associates, Inc. Contains both a fine lubricating oil and graphite. Really slicks them up and keeps them that way. I don't like to use silicone unless it is the industrial grade, found in most automotive shops.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Back in the early '90's, I knew an old gentleman who subscribed to a 'magazine' that tested firearms, and firearm products. (I forgot the name of the 'magazine.'If anyone remembers it, and it's still in production, please let me know.)

This magazine subscription cost $50.00 a year, and did not accept any advertisements. Also, when they decided to test something, they bought it off the shelf, tested it, then reported their findings in their magazine. (Everyone knows if S&W, Colt, HK, etc, want something tested, they make doubledamn sure what they send in to be tested is perfect)

Getting to the point. I saw a few issues, and one that really got my attention was an article on gun oil, grease, and other petro products for firearms. In this issue they were testing gun oil and gun grease.
    They even broke down the cost per ounce for using the products.

They concluded that buying that super-duper gun oil, grease, etc., was a waste of money. The gun oil they recommended for everyday use:

Regular, everyday MOTOR OIL. (If it's good enough for your car, and a $500.000.00 Indy race car motor, why not your gun?) Cost about a dollar a quart.

Grease, as a preservative? Again, simple. VASOLINE.

I haven't bought any 'gun oil' or any other petro products since I read that article. Except for solvent, I don't use anything marketed just for firearms.

There's one other gun related item I don't buy anymore. Cleaning patches. I go to a fabric shop when I'm needing patches, and buy cotton scraps, real cheap, and do the same job. Simply cut the scraps in the size you need. Old, worn our tshirts are good to use too.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 plus years ago when I was shooting pistol competition, I started using BreakFree clp on my pistols and revolvers. Never had one to rust or jam that I could tie back to the oil. I have used it since with no problems and I trust it. The one thing I tell people who ask me about oil is to NEVER spray any oil from an aerospray can directly onto metal. Depending on what the air temperature and the humidity is at the time, spray can oil that use gas pressure tend be cooler than the air temperature and form moisture which transfers to the metal being sprayed with it. I haven't run any tests to prove this but I did have a Browning shotgun to rust after I sprayed it with gun oil from a aerospray can. A fine peppery rust over the entire action where I had sprayed it. From then on I always spray oil from the can onto a piece of old undershirt and then onto the metal. I haven't had a firearm rust on me since I switched the way I handled the spray oil. Like I said, not proof, but worth going the extra step to be on the safe side. I recently bought a manual pump spray from the lawn and garden shop(the type used to mist flowers with water) and will be using oil sprayed it from now on.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like truflo or rem oil with teflon. Even if the oil evaporates, you got teflon residue. Prevents galling especially on stainless
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to go with Pinhead, as BreakFree is the best I've used so far.
    Our hunting in Minnesota can go from 80 degrees to 15 below and regular oil just slows actions down so that they don't function. I had a Beretta 390 that wouldn't close on the follow up in zero weather. Called Beretta direct and they told me BreakFree, TriFlo or any other Teflon based lube was the answer. Hosed it down, set it outside 10 below for an hour, never missed a beat afterward.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a Rem-Oil fan!!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use breakfree clp regularly, with no problems. i have never had a problem with the rusting issue pinhead described, but i think it makes sense. the one complaint i do have with aerosol cans, is that i tend to get too much oil on the gun. i am trying out rem-oil, in the squeeze bottle now. the only thing the USMC uses to clean their weapons is CLP, their version of CLP is the same stuff in BreakFree, so i think i would recommend BreakFree just to be safe.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you can afford a $1200.00 gun, you can afford purpose built GUN OIL. buy the product designed for your specific need... there are at least 100 types to choose from...

KROIL, HOPPES, BREAK FREE, REM OIL, its all good.

no one ever asks "can i put 3-n-1 oil in my car engine???"
    there are so mane gun related specialty lubes, oils, greases, cleaners, etc... why take the chance...

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I know everyone has a pet oil but one of the most overlooked is "BALLISTOL" the reasons I like it are NON-TOXIC , will not hurt wood or leather or plastics or rubber. in other words you can use on entire gun stock and holdster and then put in plastic case. quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    perry, i to use ballistol, doesnt evaporate and leaves a nice film on metal without gumming up.