In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stainless Jap Arisaka rifle

hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was speaking with a gentleman today who informed me he owns several WWII era Japanese Arisaka rifles. He claims one of these rifles is a 6.5 mm Arisaka with a stainless steel barrel. Is this possible?Did the Japanese make any guns using stainless steel?I thought S&W pioneered stainless steel in guns with the intro of Model 60 during the mid 1960s. I thought the Japs had trouble getting supplies of carbon steel during the war. Anybody ever heard of stainless steel in use during WWII?

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Japs had trouble getting supplies of carbon steel during the war.

Very true, to costly to make stainless steel barrel Arisaka's if they even had the tooling and the right Stainless.

I Say NO.
    (but I could be wrong, it's been known to happen [:D])

bullet.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps he is a bit confused? I believe the Japanese, chrome plated the bores on their late production, bolt action rifles.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps all the blueing came off??

sniper.gif
    UN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DON'T THINK SO. CAN YOU SHOW US A PIC??

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hughbetcha,

Wow, that is a very unlikely story!

Especially since the Japanese were so resource strapped. I have never read anything about stainless steel Model 38 rifles. None are listed in my references either. It would be rare enough to find Jap sniper rifle (even with unmatched serial numbers for the scopes and mounts) let alone a stainless steel rifle. Many Japanese weapons of this era are really poor examples of firearm design and manufacturing. One of their Nambu pistols could be accidently discharged because the sear was exposed on the side of the frame. Many of their machine guns were unreliable and had to be oiled in the field while firing in order to function.

I think this gentleman has a stripped barrel or a "last ditch" rifle that was never blued.

HI[^]
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    The Arisaka 6.5 was Crome Lined....Not Stainless.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Japanese rifles and pistols had chromed bores until the last ditch
    scene. I would be quite surprised to see a Japanese arm in ss. Remember, they had no natural resources. They did not even have a tree
    that had a girth to support a one piece rifle stock blank.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 101AIRBORNE
    The Japanese rifles and pistols had chromed bores until the last ditch
    scene. I would be quite surprised to see a Japanese arm in ss. Remember, they had no natural resources. They did not even have a tree
    that had a girth to support a one piece rifle stock blank.

If I recall at one point, the stocks for the 98/99's were roughly carved?

bullet.jpg
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The Japanese did not start chrome lining bores until the mid thirties after the effects of the tropical heat and humidity became apparent on the rifles used in China and the South Pacific.

101 mentioned another false but common perception about the stocks. The Japanese had wood aplenty to make complete stocks. One has only to examine any training rifle to see that. The reasoning behind dovetailing the buttstock was their belief (Wrongly) that intense cold would cause material damage such as warping or cracking of the buttstock. They wanted the stock to have a little "give" to it.

I also doubt that stainless steel was used in any production Japanese military weapon.

Cruelty was a rare thing in the war. Fireside folks who talk about war and read about it, they figure it's cruel more often than not, but it simply isn't so... You kill in war to survive, and not because of any desire to kill.
    Many men avoid battle not from cowardice but from fear of cowardice, fear that when the moment of truth comes they will not have the courage to face up to it. L'Amour
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Roughly" is being kind[8D]

Chrome lined bbls not Stainless steel....

The dovetailed stocks were made for strength, not lack of wood.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perhaps the rifle has been reBBL`d in the years since WWII...
    jap sporters are not uncommon, and since these are the strongest bolt action recievers ever made, its not a stretch to infer that one was sporterized utilizing a stainless BBL...

a good / quick way to check the origin of the BBL would be markings...

folks who have a poor opinion of the TYPE 38 / TYPE 99 ARISAKA rifles are simply uneducated and lack the facts...

my early production TYPE 99 ARISAKA SHORT RIFLE (7.7X58 JAPANESE) was made by TOYO KOGYO in the HIROSHIMA PREFECTURE under the supervision of KOKURA ARSENAL personel. its a 23RD SERIES (MU KANA SYMBOL)... it has the chrome lined bore, dovetailed stock, AA sights, chromed bolt face, monopod, dust cover, and is a NAVAL INFANTRY ISSUE rifle.

it is as least as good as the K-98 MAUSER or 1903 SPRINGFIELD. i think it is a superior weapon (marginaly). it is match accuratte, and well made.

we own several of these guns, and we stock about a dozen at the shop. people who knock these guns speak out of ignorance, and a total lack of experiance, not having researched the facts, or possesing 1st hand knowledge.

PO ACKLEY and HATCHER had it right...

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll put my vote on it being a rebarrel job.

As for the rest relating to best, strongest, most accurate ... not an area I'd care to spend my time on as there are MANY service rifles out there and if one is lucky enough they can get one in any Mfg./Model that is a real shooter all the rest are just service rifles each with good and bad features.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early type 99's (1939-43 or so) had chrome bores and bolt face. With all due respect to Capt Kirk, the type 38's did NOT have chrome bores. They did not, at any time use SS. You may have either a highly polished, in-the-white bbl or possibly a replacement, commercial bbl which could be SS.
    Morty