In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

s&w, m&p question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
i have what is supposed to be a s&w m&p. ser# c101090. paperwork i seen said that it was issued to a non- commissioned officer in 1948. gun is 98%.is this considered a m&p or a model 10. also is a five screw.can annyone tell me its value? thanks

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you actually still have the paperwork? This would add greatly to the provenance and therefore value of the piece. Do you additionally know how the previous owners aquired the pistol? This would help in the resale department as showing it was bought out from the military helps in terms of legalities. If all things are in order and the condition rates as stated, you could expect around$500 to $600 for it...otherwise, these run in the area of $200 in that kind of condition.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an M&P as model numbers did not start until 1957.

However the S/N -vs- date raises a question. 1948 was the year that the "C" prefix was started at s/n C1. So with that said more than 100,000 revolvers would have had to been produced in a post-WWII slump period. I'm not going to say that it is/was not possible, but, I think it would be worth contacting S&W for a letter on the revolver to go with the paperwork that you alread have.

Now another thing to consider is how the revolver got from Govt. to private ownership ... maybe your paperwork covers that aspect.

Value wise I can't support the $500-600 value unless there is something more noteworthy associated with this particular revolver other than who it was issued to and how it found it's way to the civilian world. And if there isn't then I submit that $300+/- would be appropriate in my part of the country.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!