In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question to the FFL's out there

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Ok, since I'm out of state more often than not, can I get an FFL transfer to a state adjacent to my own, given that there's a reciprocity law on the books? (i.e. Can I have a gun sent to a dealer in IN if I live in IL, to avoid having to spend months trying to get back, and filling out several additional 4473's while I'm on the road?) Thanks, all.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not an FFL, but all of us who buy, sell, or trade guns must know the law, or we risk making a mistake that could get us into trouble. You, can, & should, read the law; it is found in: Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4).

The short answer to your question is NO.

A nonlicensee (that's you) can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from a dealer in any state, provided you appear before him & such a transfer is legal in both his state & your state of residence. A nonlicensee may buy a handgun from a resident of his own state, if such transfer is permitted, or from a dealer licensed in his own state.

Neal
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eastwood44mag: Do you by any chance maintain a home in two different states for certain periods of the year? If so refer to the questions and answers section of the dealers reference guide, page 136 (B13) as this makes reference to the purchase of handguns.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Non-residents can purchase long guns in other states as long as it meets the law in both states.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

VIP Code: 900440

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you can purchase a handgun in another state, if you meet requirements,( he can't give you possession) but you still have to have it shipped to an FFL dealer in your state of residence, where he will have to do the whole handgun sales requirement for your home state, federal, ect. But as above still need to check the regs, I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I'm not an FFL, but all of us who buy, sell, or trade guns must know the law, or we risk making a mistake that could get us into trouble. You, can, & should, read the law; it is found in: Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4).

The short answer to your question is NO.

A nonlicensee (that's you) can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from a dealer in any state, provided you appear before him & such a transfer is legal in both his state & your state of residence. A nonlicensee may buy a handgun from a resident of his own state, if such transfer is permitted, or from a dealer licensed in his own state.

Neal

You are correct if it is a handgun. Transfer can only be made in his home state. If it is a rifle or shotgun, a dealer in another state can receive and transfer the firearm to him as long as it is legal in both states. Where he sends the money has no bearing, only where the actual transfer takes place.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, slightly different question now.

If I buy a rifle in an adjacent state, I can pick it up. That's given. However, can I have an FFL buy it from another FFL and transfer it to me, since there's only a handful of dealers state-wide to sell the make I'm looking for? It would all be in the same state. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastwood44mag
    Ok, slightly different question now.

If I buy a rifle in an adjacent state, I can pick it up. That's given. However, can I have an FFL buy it from another FFL and transfer it to me, since there's only a handful of dealers state-wide to sell the make I'm looking for? It would all be in the same state. Thanks

Yes, you can. It doesn't matter where the dealer got the rifle. He is the one transferring it to you.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do that.

However, you will have to pay FFL #1 shipping charges to send it to FFL #2, & you will have to pay FFL #2 his transfer fee for handling the transaction. You should first make sure this is satisfactory to FFL #2, since some dealers may not want to transfer a long gun to a nonresident.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You can do that.

However, you will have to pay FFL #1 shipping charges to send it to FFL #2, & you will have to pay FFL #2 his transfer fee for handling the transaction. You should first make sure this is satisfactory to FFL #2, since some dealers may not want to transfer a long gun to a nonresident.

Neal

Neal is absolutely correct about checking with the dealer you want to handle the transfer. Just because an action is legal doesn't mean that the dealer will cooperate.