In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Takedown Colt 1903 .32 auto

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,024 ******
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I got a rusted up Colt 1903 the other day.

Trying to take it down for cleaning. Soaked it in a vat of Hoppe's #9. Still can't get it apart.

I assume it takes down like a Colt .25. Lock slide to rear then rotate barrel. Which way? Barrel won't move either way.

Letting it soak some more.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a "Line" engraved on the right side of the slide, about 1/2" inch from the front end. You pull the slide back until this "Line" is even with the front of the frame. Then turn barrel counterclockwise, until it stops. Hopefully doing this will enable you to separate the slide from the frame.

Early production .32's had a separate barrel bushing, so takedown was different.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More info here

www.coltautos.com

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nunn,

Hoppe's #9 is not the best thing to use when trying to free up corroded parts. Try Break-Free CLP or something similar for a good soak to relieve some of the stuck parts.

"Penetrates and spreads along metal surfaces into every pit and crevice to undercut contamination and lift residue away where it can be removed."

The next step after coming out of the soak is to try a 'deadbblow' plastic hammer against some of the parts junctions. Gently but sharply.

Best.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Try Kroil and soak it in that. Good luck.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Turn barrel counterclockwise..."

Is that looking at it from the front or from the rear?

Sorry, but I have had a tremendous brain fade.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    "Turn barrel counterclockwise..."

Is that looking at it from the front or from the rear?

Sorry, but I have had a tremendous brain fade.

From the front, i.e. twist barrel to the left, while holding index mark on slide in alignment with front right edge of frame.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After lining up the witness marks, counterclockwise looking at the chamber end.

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the gun in shootable condition now? If so, firing it might help loosen the barrel so it can be rotated as described to take it down.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JudgeColt
    Is the gun in shootable condition now? If so, firing it might help loosen the barrel so it can be rotated as described to take it down.

JudeColt!!!! Glad to se you back!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

bullet.jpg
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn, I have the original mauual from colt if you have a fax # I'll fax it to you. Email me.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I find no witness marks on frame and slide. How far out of battery should the slide be?

• Options
    edited November -1
    The site I gave you

www.coltautos.com

has a good illustration.Select 1903, then Disassemly tab.I can't get to mine right now to give you a measurement.