In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CAI M1 GARAND, Who? When? Where?

scopethisscopethis Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a M1 made by CAI and would like to find more information on the manufacturer. I have had no luck on the internet. I don't find any information relating to this manufacture in history records.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    ASSEMBLED BY CENTURY ARMS INTL. FROM A U.S.G.I. PARTS KIT AND A NEWLY MGF. RECEIVER, THEY USUALY WORK OK BUT NO COLLECTOR VALUE.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Have it inspected by someone that knows Garands before you fire it. Century Arms has quality control on those that varies from excellent to very poor. Some don't lock up right, which would be dangerous. The receiver is their own, and is a casting instead of a forging. This means it is ok for the normal usage by a civilian, but not good for a GI to take into battle where abuse is going to happen. I had one, and sold it after buying an early Springfield Armory(made in 1942)Garand. For the price(which usually is about $325-$350 they are ok.
  • Options
    scopethisscopethis Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    ASSEMBLED BY CENTURY ARMS INTL. FROM A U.S.G.I. PARTS KIT AND A NEWLY MGF. RECEIVER, THEY USUALY WORK OK BUT NO COLLECTOR VALUE.

Thank you for the reply.
    Is this the same CAI that has the web site?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Century also imported a bunch of surplus Korean Garands. These may or may not have been rebuilt.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were made/assembled within the last 5 years by an importer, which I believe is in CA. Originally sold in the $500+ range, prices dropped < $400 when shooters found out they were poor quality guns.

More often than not they do not function reliably. The receiver dimensions are significantly off dimensionally, & the metallurgy & heat treatment are unknown. Parts are often unserviceable. While I have not heard of catastrophic failure, the high pressure of the .30-06 round would make me reluctant to fire one with the receiver a few inches in front of my face.

Sorry, but you made an unwise purchase. It is suitable only for a floor lamp.

Neal
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a shop owner that had bought 10 of these. He sold two of them and they were returned within a week because they would not cycle. He had them priced at $300 and wasn't selling them. They are usually junk.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    quatamaquatama Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold my CAI M1 Garand two years ago because of cycling failure.
    CAI took a well respected WWII Springfield receiver and mounted a Korean War vintage barrel to it. I don't think it was pressure tested at the factory (no 'p' marks stamped on receiver or barrel).

The CAI M1 Garand stock had been from the Korean War and found its way to Holland (Netherlands).

The second failure was the lack of accuracy. 100 meter groups were 3.5 to 4.25 inches using M2 ball ammo and a rest bench.

The Garand was purchased for 300 USD ($300). The gunsmith needed 400 USD to buy another receiver and do the Q/A + tweaks.

In summary, CAI Garand's is a good value if you can leave with some of the problems.
  • Options
    jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Century imported M1's from China, Morocco, Algeria, and
    a few other countries. Not South Korea.

Their own receivers--I tested several--were o.k. when
    done by Santa Barbara in Spain, and finished stateside.
    The later ones were finished and final machine by
    Ruger, and were--to be kind--not terribly reliable.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand most of them are junk. Poor quality control. Some of them will work fine, others might spit parts in your face...

Here is a link I found that might interest you

http://www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

Take note that the gun closed on a field guage. Excessive headspace is a very bad thing.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I bought one and it was recalled because the receiver was not made to the correct specs. The thing wouldn't even cycle. I found out it was recalled when I took it back to gun shop I had purchased it from. The owner claimed he had lost my contact info and could not reach me about the recall. I've never been back there or even looked at a CAI Garand again.