In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt detctive re-finish???

jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I just picked up a colt detective special in a small lot of 38's I bought...plastic grips, uncovered rod(60's?), 2" bbl... the nickel finsh is mostly gone...do I keep this as a beater or do I get it refinished? would I ruin any collector value if it has any the way it is? if I get refinished, blue or nickel? lastly, is it worth the extra $'s to have it done by colt? Thanks!
ps-fwiw, the action and bore are good!

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has no collector value now, & will never have collector value. If it is mechanically in good condition & you think you would like it better refinished, go ahead & have it done; but, a quality job will cost at least $300, money you will never recover.

Colt does not have parts for guns no longer in production, nor do they work on them.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423582&SearchTerms=nickel

Neal
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your evaluation that "the finish is mostly gone" takes it out of the collector realm. Getting it re-finished won't put it back in the collector realm. If it is mechanically sound and you need a carry gun it is still a good choice for that role. Since you'll get holster wear and dings etc. from constant carry why bother with a refinish? Really need pictures but its probably worth $225 +/- as it is. Might be $300 with a refinish but that refinish will cost more than the difference in value. I'd probably leave it as it is and use it.
  • Options
    jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yea, you guys are right, thanks...what about a blue finish or even something else like duracoat or a bake on do it yourself?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plating adds thickness to parts. When you strip the remnants of the old finish off a plated gun, it may or may not still function reliably. It depends on the gun, parts wear, & the skill of the gunsmith.

Plus, plating is a little forgiving of surface imperfections; bluing isn't.

Neal