In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Educate Me Please on Ruger Blackhawk

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in the .30 carbine. It is of new manufacture. I keep seeing both Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk while I'm looking for grips. Interchangeable or no? I'm thinking of getting the grips that extend the butt a bit as it feels short to me. Is there an issue between the older Blackhawks and the new one I have or do the grips fit all. Suggestions, comments, advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Super Black Hawk has a larger frame and is made for 44 mag ammo.
    www.rugerforum.com for more info
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks so not interchangable. Now - no difference between old and new blackhawks?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Ruger has had different size grip frames that grips will not interchange the frame is marked something like XR3 and XR3RED The early FLAT TOP guns had different grips then later ones . The Ruger website or Look at Brownell's catalog.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For new model Blackhawks there are two grip frame sizes: the regular Blackhawk grip frame that came on your .30 carbine, and the Super Blackhawk grip frame that came on .44 Magnums. The grip frames will interchange. If you want "grips that extend the butt a bit" you can get a Super Blackhawk grip frame and Super Blackhawk grips and swap them out. The Super grip frame will screw right on. Also, the super grip frame is steel while on your .30, it's aluminum.

And as far as the difference between old model and new model Blackhawks, the grips are the same (except for the real early ones) but the grip frames are not interchangeable from old to new models.
  • Options
    2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maxx424
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk in the .30 carbine. It is of new manufacture. I keep seeing both Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk while I'm looking for grips. Interchangeable or no? it as it feels short to me. Is there an issue between the older Blackhawks and the new one I have or do the grips fit all. Suggestions, comments, advice appreciated.

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm