In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

J Donn & Bros shotgun Canton IL

swampyswampy Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have one of these shotguns also. It is a 12 gauge double barrel with the old "rabbit ears" hammers. On the rib between the barrels, it says "J Donn & Bros Canton, IL Fine Damascus". This was my great grandfathers shotgun. I would like to know the history of this gun if at all possible.
I would be willing to post/send photos if that would help. It has lots of engraving and numbers and letters stamped under the forearm.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be a sleeper? Please post quality photos.

My reference notes that it was U.S. made. Donn was located in Peoria IL., and in business between 1878 and 1911.
  • swampyswampy Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am having problems posting the photos. I will get that figured out....
  • swampyswampy Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't seem to find a way to attach photos. Is there somewhere I can send them to you.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are instructions for posting photos in the forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Your might also consider posting the photos and request for information to this shotgun specific collectors site on the net. GOOGLE, "SHOTGUN WORLD", it will come up at the top of the queue, very many knowledgeable U.S. and foreign shotgun collectors hang their.
  • John GriggsJohn Griggs Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP...James Donn & Bro., hardware merchants, gun-makers and dealers. This firm occupy one of the finest store-rooms in Canton, being 181 ? feet in depth by 22 feet wide. Ninety feet in front is stored with hardware, guns, cutlery, etc., and 91 ? feet in the rear is devoted to the manufacture of guns. This firm represents one of the important business interests of Canton. They make a specialty in the manufacture of the best grade of breach-loading guns after the latest improved models, varying in price form $50 to $250. They have a reputation second to none in the State in the manufacture of superior goods. The business was established by James Donn in April, 1859, in a small building on Main street, north of the Square, he doing all his own work with no power excepting hand. He occupied this building for 6 years with an average business of $600 per year. He removed to the west side of the Square and remained till '67 when he formed a partnership with his brother, Wm. Donn, jr., and removed to the north side; and in 1872 moved to their present place on the west side, where they do a business of $50,000 per year The parents of these gentlemen, Wm. and Catharine (Thompson) Donn, are among the old settlers of Fulton Co. They were natives of Perth, Scotland. James was born in Lake Co., Ill., and married Ellen Rawalt in 1871. Ellen is their only child. Wm. Donn, jr., is a native of Canton and was born in 1849; he was married Nov. 28, 1878, to Belle Thompson. (History of Fulton County, C. C. Chapman, 1879, page 548, Canton Township section, submitted by Danni Hopkins)
  • bigjerbigjer Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi i have this same gun with a 34 inch laminatied edition barrol any thoughts to as how much or history i see no serial number thanks
  • MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donn was a custom maker and every gun needs to be evaluated on it's own merits. Without a good description and pictures there is nothing anyone can do to help.
    Lindner_Donn1.jpg