In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I bought a Mossberg 590 12 G. and can't

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
really identify it from reading the "Home Defense Shotgun" thread on GB/GD..

HPIM9864.jpg

It has ghost ring sights, sling swivels, a 20 inch barrel (cylinder bore) and is a matte silver color. No bayonet lug.

Stamped on the receiver is "-Model 590-" with no additional designators.

It has black synthetic furniture and is serial number L6149XX.

It does NOT have a speed feed stock and is quite heavy (steel receiver ??).

Can anyone tell me what its' full nomenclature might be ??

By the way, it is 95 to 98 percent.

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    When the 590 first came out that was it 590. Doug is the trigger group plastic or metal, Metal occurs on the 590 A1 because of military specs er something along those lines. Steel receiver I doubt thats how mossberg cuts cost.

EDIT:
    Doug that is a 590 Mariner they still produce them. Which means it is a glorified 500 Mariner with an extended tube magazine. Also a stainless steel paint over normal composition to eliminate rust.

Presonally Doug I would leave the plastic trigger gaurd, I have yet to break one, and mine isn't the prettiest gal at the ball anymore nor was she ever.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stainless steel makes it a "Mariner" version, as the stainless is supposed to reduce potential corrosion around salt water.

As to the rest, Mossberg makes and has made so many variants of the 500(/590) platform over the years, the head spins.

I think technically the only difference between the 590 and the 500 is the magazine design, with the 590 having an easier to access magazine. I don't think these have steel receivers (though someone please correct me if I am wrong).

The combat-ready 590s (ie the 590As) also have reinforced barrels, metal safeties and triggerguards, and many have ghost-ring type combat sites. Some of them will have heat shields, speed-feed stocks and/or bayonet lugs, though apparently now there are some 500s with heat shields and/or speedfeed stocks as well.

IMO while its nice to have the toughest and highest-capacity shotgun possible if you are going to be in a warzone or intend to be in combat, pretty much ANY of these (even the plain-jane 5+1 500s or Mavericks) are plenty of gun for home defense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie
    When the 590 first came out that was it 590. Doug is the trigger group plastic or metal, Metal occurs on the 590 A1 because of military specs er something along those lines. Steel receiver I doubt thats how mossberg cuts cost.

EDIT:
    Doug that is a 590 Mariner they still produce them. Which means it is a glorified 500 Mariner with an extended tube magazine. Also a stainless steel paint over normal composition to eliminate rust.

Trigger guard is plastic. Should I replace it?? Are they known for breaking ??

I emailed Mossberg asking for a detailed explanation of the finish.

Thank you and...

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Doug
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    As Beantown already said, MILSPEC will have the steel trigger group and steel safety button rather than plastic. There are different variations depending on your needs:
    Some with ghost ring sights and no heat shield:
    [img][/img]Mossberg590tactical2.jpg

Bead sights and the heat shield:
    [img][/img]Mossberg5901.jpg

There are also slight differences in finish as well as the type of butt pad fitted. Just how useful the bayonet lug is depends on how often you plan on making trench raids!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colt Super
    Trigger guard is plastic. Should I replace it?? Are they known for breaking ??

Sure. . .it can break if you drop your gun onto a pile of rocks or bash someone over the head with it, or use it to parry a blow from Mr. Christian's bayonet [}:)].

I actually have seen one of these with a cracked triggerguard (though it still functioned fine). So yeah, they "can" break.

"Should" you replace it?

My personal motto is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Personally, I wouldn't, unless I knew I were taking the gun into actual combat (in which case I'd probably replace the entire gun for a non-shiny 590A1, not just the triggerguard).

More to the point, I don't know if aluminum replacement triggerguards are easily obtainable (they may be. . .don't know). If they are, and you're going to lose sleep over this, then I suppose you could. Again, personally, I'm not losing sleep over that, and I'd rather spend my money (and time) on something else.

On bayonet, they actually do still have modern military application outside of trenches. For example, the British relatively recently led a bayonet charge against the Taliban in Afghanistan, and it happened in Iraq as well.

Bayonet can be useful in close quarters combat where allies may be close by (and you don't want to hit them by accident), or if you are actually attacked hand-to-hand. They can also be useful if you want to employ lethal (or non-lethal) force SILENTLY, but still maintain a loaded weapon at the ready (eg against dogs or sentries). And they can work as a last-resort if you are out of ammo, or don't have the time or ability to load your gun.

Suffice it to say that you probably don't need one for home defense. Sticking one on your gun inside your home is probably more of a liability than a benefit, since it will make the gun heavier, longer (ie harder to manipulate), and you're just as likely to stick it someplace you really shouldn't (like the nice new curtains, or your foot, etc).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, thank you for the information.

I guess the only tacticool accessory I'll add will be a sling.

Is that tacticool ??

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Doug
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If home defense is the purpose for this particular shotgun just forget all about the sling, you'll only get it tangled up something or have it interfere with your cycling of the action. The swivels are just going to rattle around and noise is you enemy (although in another post someone said being noisy was a good thing in a home defence situation) so take them off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well...

So much for tacticool.

HAPPY NEW YEAR MARK !!!

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colt Super
    Well, thank you for the information.

I guess the only tacticool accessory I'll add will be a sling.

Is that tacticool ??

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Doug

"Tacticool" meaning, "actually useful in the real world"?

I think the elastic shell holder that you already have on the gun is "tacticool" (and quite possibly "tacticooler" than a speedfeed stock).

Personally speaking, I'd put a sling on there.

That gives you someplace to park the gun other than the floor if you need to free up both hands. What if after picking up the gun you decide there is no threat? Isn't it better to have the gun slung than walk around holding it in your hands or left on the ground somewhere?

A sling can also potentially be a way to help steady the gun if for some reason you need to hold it with only one hand.

Yeah, a cheapo piece of clothesline could pose a problem, but if your sling is a quality one and adjusted properly, it should be semi-stiff and hang down beneath the action, preventing snagging.

I do agree with Mark that noise is NOT your friend, and if you aren't going to mount a sling, you might as well remove the sling loops.

That said, simply putting a sling on the swivels already attached to your gun ought to mute them considerably if not entirely. If they still make noise, you can further mute them with a bit of cloth tape, grease, etc.

For Mark, I'm with you 100% from that last thread on the silliness of the "shotgun racking sound" fantasy. If all it took to scare away intruders was the sound of a pump shotgun racking, you wouldn't need a shotgun at all. . .just a tape recorder with a pre-recorded sound of a shotgun racking! Set it to play in a loop with one sound every 5-10 minutes, and your home will always be intruder-free. [;)]

Since you suggested the coach gun in that other thread, you might want to check out this month's issue of "SWAT" magazine (on the cover is some bit about Columbian Drug wars), which coincidentally happens to have an article on a custom modified "tacticool" Stoeger coach gun.

IIRC, the gun had the automatic safety disengaged[:0], a custom-fabricated underbarrel accessory rail added, and a trigger job performed. In order not to have to ruin the look of the gun by attaching swivels, the author put on a sling that attached to the buttstock and barrel.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding the trigger group - guard. Mossberg had a recall on the shinny plastic ones. They have since replaced them with a matte finish one.

I know this, as the trigger guard (trigger assembly) on my 500 (bought in 1991) snapped off. Mossberg replaced it free of charge. This was back in 1999. Finish of the plastic trigger guards may have since changed again.