In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR 15 Mod

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I've an AR 15 9mm upper and obtained parts for the buffer and 9mm buffer spring. For some reason, they included a 9mm hammer. Is it necessary to replace the .223 hammer with the 9mm one?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Harry, you need to use the specific 9mm hammer in your conversion, but you don't need a special hammer spring, just use the current spring. The .223 hammer just won't work properly with a 9mm bolt.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, Mark. As usual, you are right on. Will do the swap. Thanks again.

FWIW, I'm in the process of getting a Riesing and a Stemple 76, NIB, thanks to your earlier info. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    Hi, I've an AR 15 9mm upper and obtained parts for the buffer and 9mm buffer spring. For some reason, they included a 9mm hammer. Is it necessary to replace the .223 hammer with the 9mm one?

Only if you want to shoot 9mm rounds from your gun without ruining it. [;)]

For what its worth, I believe the different blowback design of the 9mm luger conversion cycles the bolt faster, and the lighter 9mm hammer is necessary to avoid damaging the receiver of your gun.

I know there are some hammer designs that will work fine for both .223 and 9mm guns, though I don't know if any ordinary 9mm hammer will do so.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    My understanding has to do more with the bolt shape and how it hits the hammer.

Plus it depends on the gun. My OA was designed to use the standard hammer [:D]