In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 77/22 Hornet Conversion

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
Since the head diameter of the 30 carbine and 22 Hornet are very close to being the same...could a Ruger 77/22 Hornet be converted to chamber the 22/30 carbine cartridge?

Comments

• Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I converted a Ruger 77/22rf to 17HMR and was comfortable doing so because the Ruger 77/22rf is very much the same action as that used on their 22mag version. But my knee jerk reaction to converting one to 22-30carb is that I think that you would be pushing the abilities of the rear locking Ruger bolt past where I would want to go. If I really wanted to build a rifle in the 22-30carb I'd probably start with either a mini mauser or CZ-527. Both of those actions handle .223 pressures with no problem and both rifles are available in 22hornet; if that is where you want to start from. Personally I'd probably just buy a CZ-527 in 221 fireball and let it go at that, but hey it's your project and more power to ya.........
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A.I. might be worth a try. I suspect it would feed through the Ruger Mag. though I haven't tried it. I'd be surprised if the magazine would work with the carbine based round. As pointed out above, you may also be pushing the limits of the action. I'd feel more comfortable with a good front locking bolt system.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I understand them, the 77/44 is the same action as the 77/22H. How do the chamber pressures compare between the 22-30 and the 44 Magnum? Safe chamber pressures would be your biggest limiting factor. That and a magazine that will feed the cartridge.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mm,

Here is just my opinion, but I think you need to get yourself a good switch barrel singleshot...like an Encore. Then you can have Matchgrade Machine make it anything you want at any time. The other prime candidate would be like a takedown low wall.

Best
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sore Shoulder,
    Assuming the Stark is a .44 necked to .22, I like your solution.
    Have to admit, though, I'd be glad it was someone else forming the brass, and not me. [:D]