In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would you recrown this old girl?

idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm not a gunsmith but to me this could certainly be improved. What do ya'll think? It's a '44 Underwood M1 Carbine so I know it'll likely never be a tack driver but if a recrown will improve it I'll do it. It would certainly look better. It's in great shape otherwise.

EDIT:Thanks for the help. Seems to be two distinct opinions here. I'm going to have my gunsmith look at it and go from there. I need to go bother him anyway. I shot it a bit but just plinking. Never really grouped it. Just started to reload for it and thought it would be kind of silly to go through the process of working up a load only to find out the crown was bad.
The pics were taken with an average Olympus camera that has a Super Macro setting and on a tripod. The lense was about 3/4" from the muzzle for those pics. Cool feature but you have to support the camera to do it.

bore1.JPG
bore2.JPG

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would and I would follow the original contour removing a minimum of material.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    It really does not need it as the nicks are all on the outer side of the crown and nothing on the lands or surrounding metal near the lands. If the looks bother you go ahead and do it but it is good enough as it is.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is not a high grade collector, that is all original, then yes, I would mess with that. That said, I would try to keep it to a minimum.

By the way...nice picture!

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "but if a recrown will improve it I'll do it"......I'M WITH JOHNW ON THIS, A RECROWN WON'T IMPROVE ACCURACY (IT MIGHT LOOK BETTER THO).
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    YES ! by all means get a professional gunsmith re-crown it.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like the land at 1 oclock had been chewed up a little, so I'll assume the other are as bad... Recrown it and you'll see a bit of improvement....
    Nice photo's BTW...........
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you shoot it yet? If not, see how it groups. If it groups okay I would not mess with it. I have recrowned several guns and some have shown improvement, some have not. So...in my mind, no use doing it if it doesn't need it. Try her out first. This also gives you a baseline if you do have it recrowned, you can see if it improved.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trying to figure out how you got the muzzle of a carbine to look like an interstellar black hole.

Some of you guys have crazy photog skills.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DRP-AZ
    trying to figure out how you got the muzzle of a carbine to look like an interstellar black hole.

Some of you guys have crazy photog skills.

Most camera's in the $100.00 or over range have this little feature called "macro"...works really good for close up work...especially lettering and proof marks.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's "macro" and I have a nice camera, just can't seem to get those kinda pics.