In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? Need to Spend Big Money for .45

cpt_spaccpt_spac Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
Do you really need to spend $700+ on a Kimber or Les Baer .45, or will a Citadel or springfield GI shoot the same and be just as accurate? I want to know if there is a noticeable difference between the different makers?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends what you want to accomplish.

Can you drive to work every day in a Ford?
    Then why does anyone "need" a Cadillac?

There is more to it than accuracy (though that's a part of it too), there is also intrinsic parts quality, fitting of parts, sights, grips, trigger quality, etc.

If you want great sights, a match quality trigger, checkered frame, high quality parts, high quality grips, etc, you have to pay for them.

Edit:
    Put it this way, if you want to compete seriously at bullseye competition, you're just not going to find a $400 out-of-the-box gun that has a good enough trigger, or is intrinsically accurate enough to do that. You NEED a more expensive gun out of the box, or you'll have to build your own, which also costs money.

If you just need a gun that will go "bang" every time you pull the trigger, and can put all the rounds into a 4-5" group at 25 yards then yeah, a $400 gun will be fine.

The truth is that 90%+ of shooters probably never do more with their guns than punch a few holes informally at the range every so often, and keep a gun handy for that night-time emergency invasion that never actually materializes. So for this typical "Joe-schmoe" shooter, pretty much *ANY* 1911 could be fine.

Maybe the parts aren't as strong, but if you don't put thousands of rounds through the gun (and most shooters never do), you'll probably never encounter a parts failure.

Put more simply, the more you have riding on the gun, probably the more money you'll want to spend on it to make sure its as good as it can possibly be.

As another thing to think about, the 1911s the US military carried for 75 years weren't accurized, didn't have match triggers, front or backstrap checkering, fancy grips or sights, yet they still worked OK for what they needed to do.

Again, just because you CAN drive to work, do your shopping, and take your day trips in a Ford, that doesn't mean you won't ENJOY it more in a Cadillac!
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    Just as an example, I have a Rock Island Armory Compact Tactical in .45. Cost me $440.00. It's not a pretty as a Kimber, but it definitely goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and it is remarkably accurate. Also have a Llama .45 that I paid #250.00 for several years ago and it is one of my favorite pistols. You can find a "good" pistol that you can be happy with for decent money if you want to buy other than a big brand.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen and had both sides of this equation. As mentioned the RIA is OK for an entry level weapon, but as one advances they like the bells and whistles.

As far as accuracy, and reliability...it goes without saying, the more you want to spend, the more of each you will get in MOST cases. That said, a friend had all three frame sizes in Kimber's, and all were the alloy frames...they all had reliability issues.

My current 1911's are a Colt Delta Gold Cup, that has been reliability and accuracy enhanced, by Wilson, a Para Ordnance 14/45 SS Limited, that is box stock, and a Wilson Combat Protector series. I did try the Charles Daly, and the RIA(both made by the same Asia based manufacturer), and have sold them.

Best
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above posters.

For his 21st birthday, I got my son a Glock 21 FS with comp for $595. He shoots it very well and is very pleased with it. It is more accurate than I am capable (at least for the moment) and with the comp, it kicks less than my 9MM. Thus far it meets his intended purpose and shooting style.

icon-17108846.jpg

Good luck!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much time will you spend stare and compare?
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    If it matters, I would never spend the big $$$ on a Kimber again. I had to send a Kimber back to the factory and it still came back jamming every other round (it was very accurate but worthless as a carry gun since it was a jam-o-matic). I have 2 Springfields, one loaded and the other a mil-spec. Love them both.
    You can get good/bad with every manufacture, so I would try to go to a range that rents guns and try a few out.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might add your location to your profile and maybe someone would take you to the range with some of their shooting irons to try a few out. If you are ever in Oklahoma City, I'd be glad to do the same.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    foxbat3foxbat3 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1943 Colt 1911A1 that will consistently group 2" or less, Cost me -$10.00. Sometimes you get lemons, sometimes oranges.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i really would look at the taurus pt-1911.
    i have shot them along wih a kimber of the same size. the taurus can hang with the kimber.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The best shooting 1911 style pistol I have found is a Para ordnance. Not a true 1911 because of the double stack mag, but never fails to work, and will give a group less than six inches at a hundred yards.