In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 94

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a Model 94 with the serial #2806281. It appears to me to be a Traditional 30-30 WIN made after 1964. Could you verify that information for me and estimate it's value? The rifle is in real good condition. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a Winchester 94 in .32 Win. Spl. serial # 1720*** can anyone tell me how old this gun is??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Friend wants to sell a Model 94,serail number says made in 1965,is in original box and has all original papers.it is in excellent shape and has a beautiful walnut stock,he wants 300.00,does this sound good?"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am intrested in hearing some opinions on 94s. I own several and shoot them. I see a lot of differences in how they shoot. They seem to be sensitive to the Brand of ammo used as well as the temperature.

Since bolt action guns get "Glass Bedded" to free up the barel, Do people do anything to help 94s get consistant?

Which of the Pre 64s do ya'll think shoot best in factory conditon.
    1) Saddle Ring up to 1932
    2) Rifles
    3) Pre War guns
    4) Post War long forearm
    5) Post War Short Forearm

The Hornady Ammo seems to be the best Factory loads Ive used. Ive experimented and seen that Federal vs Wichester vs Remmington vs Hornady all shoot a bit different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    why are the model 94's in 357 so much more expensive than the same gun in 30 30?

cool factor? or something else?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 94 serial number 13028xx. Would this be considered a pre-war carbine? I have taken the forearm off and on the flat under the chamber section of the barrel it is marked 30wcf41.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Rex,

No two guns will shoot the same with the exact same ammo, regardless of when they were made. Lever-actions are not ever going to shoot as well as most bolt-action rifles will, and trying to squeeze them for the utmost accuracy is a waste ot time (at least in my opinion). If you own several different Model 1894 (94) guns, even changing the type or brand of ammo to find the one that shoots the best in each one of them is somewhat of a PITA. My advice is to find one brand and bullet weight that shoots decent in all of them, and then if you really want to play, then experiment with different loads for each of them. Keep in mind that if you can obtain 2" groups at 100 yards, you are doing exceptionally well with a Model 1894(94).
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Mahan,

As Bert has already stated, the M94 is not a "target gun". It is what it is, a compact & fast handling saddle or truck/ATV gun.

To make them shoot better--
    The M94 will shoot it's best when kept clean & fowling free. By design, they are easier cleaned from the muzzle than dissambled. Care must be used to protect the crown so a muzzle guide is HIGHLY reccomended. Care & attention to a clean bore will get you the most from any gun, M94's included.

The M94 was built with attention to smooth lines for ease of carry both in a scabbard or in your hands. Any add-ons such as slings, scope, or the like only defeats the original design of "fast handling". A common mistake with a light rifle is to try to control the gun with the sling. With no ridgid full length stock, sling pressure often varies harmonics enough to affect accuracy.

The Winnie '94 30-30 is the best all-round "take with" gun today as it was 100 years ago. Designed then for carry on a horse, still the handiest on an "iron pony" ATV. (or is it because there's a little cowboy left in most of us?)

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know you wouldnt do it for real, but would it make any difference in accuracy if the magazine forearm were off. Just a question as I assume the only thing stopping them from being accurate is the load on the barrel?
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rex,

quote:
    I know you wouldnt do it for real, but would it make any difference in accuracy if the magazine forearm were off. Just a question as I assume the only thing stopping them from being accurate is the load on the barrel?

Yoy CAN try it, and, you MAY see a difference.

Take a look at what Paco Kelly has to say about the subject:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/chapter23.htm

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. This is helpful. I also contacted Steves Guns and he seems really knowledgeable. Also, Ive been looking at the various sights both front and rear as well as what ever else can be done. I missed a really good buck this season. It was my fault but it made me decide to get to know the gun really well.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a lever action in certain 100 year old+-"obsolete" calibers.........What Bert said 100%.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An "OLD" study by Outdoor Life asked what caliber got the most "one shot kills"...The 30-30 WITH 150 GRAINERS tied the 30-06 for the TOP PICK!!!
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The study was for DEER!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you replicas shoot any differnet than the original / old ones?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 94's and own a few myself. If you want the best possible accuracy out of a 94 jack it up and drive a bolt action under it. It is just not a rigid enough rifle to ever be a "tack driver."