In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning Model 52

CanoeloverCanoelover Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a Browning MOdel 52, and would like to put a peep sight on the rear and a hooded ramp on the front, like the original WInchester 52 Sporting had. What sights should I use? If I drill the barrel for the front sight, would I destroy the value of the gun? Browning drilled and tapped the receiver for the peep, but installed no sight for the front...very frustrating for anyone who does not wish to use a scope...!!

Comments

• CanoeloverCanoelover Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you modify the bolt on the Browning 52 to accomodate a low scope mount? As is, the scope must be mounted absurdly high in order for the bolt to clear the occular tube...very ungainly, to say the least... Browning made these 52s as Winchester 52 reproductions, yet they left the front sight off, but the bolt retracts so high that any serious scope (other than a skinny-tubed model, like the Weaver C4) gets in the way.
    edited November -1
    Need an approx. value for "as new" condition Browning Model 52, 22LR. About $650-$700 sound right? No pics, sorry. Thanks!
  • dude1951dude1951 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also own a Browning 52.......Beautiful gun! I do shoot with a scope on mine....old eyes. My 2 cents is that if you alter the gun from factory you loose value. Such a great gun I suggest that u use a scope and don't ruin the collector value.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dude1951
    I also own a Browning 52.......Beautiful gun! I do shoot with a scope on mine....old eyes. My 2 cents is that if you alter the gun from factory you loose value. Such a great gun I suggest that u use a scope and don't ruin the collector value.

I think that is probably good advice. Maybe I had better give up on the wish for peep sights. The gun is like new (in the box), and, although I have a good drill press, I sure hate to do it. It's just that I'm not much of a scope fan. For a .22, that seems overkill, and I enjoy the challenge of iron sights. However, at 61, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so maybe I should take your suggestion seriously. Thanks!
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Front site will not be a factor in the price of a browning 52. Still just shooters. They are NOT a Winchester 52.
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While it is not a Winchester 52, modifying it will still lower the value -- especially since you still have the original box (and I assume paperwork, etc). You'll want to go with med or high rings to clear the bolt handle.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about drilling and tapping for a base whereby you can attach a clamp on sight base such as the Redfield Globe front? I think a good peep rear such as the Olympic or International works best with a globe front with inserts.

I think drilling the two holes required for this (done properly)would have minimum effect on value.

As an aside, there are also clamp on front sights - very popular with the AR crowd. Check out Sinclair.

As an aside, I use an International peep rear and globe front on a Rem 40X in 7.62 and a Winchester 75. I agree a scope helps and most folks do better with one, but going with excellent iron sights is fine so long as the shooter does their part. A little more work.
  • cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a hard time conceiving a "collector value" for Japanese 52 sporters. I own one of the USRA winchester versions and the first thing I found out was the scope had to mounted so high to clear the bolt handle is made for one ugly rifle. So I modified the bolt handle and now the scope sits just off the barrel, just like it should.

As for the mounting of a receiver sight the Lyman sight application is a 48F, third version. This is the sight Winchester used on the sporting rifles up until the end of production of the 52C sporter. Finding one of these sights could take some time, they are super rare and cost more than alot of rimfire scopes. Other receiver sights will fit but wood has to be nothced out of the stock. As to the front sight ramp, any good one of the proper height can be used and they could be silver soldered to the barrel. therefore no holes need to be drilled. The last 48F Lyman went for over $400 on fleabay.
  • dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of the browning 52 that I realy like to shoot.
    One for tree rats and the other ( Which was a gift so each G-daughter would end up with one ) for target
    Don't worry about value do what you like and enjoy . Life is to short to worry about value of something that you probely will not ever sell.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cody45
    I have a hard time conceiving a "collector value" for Japanese 52 sporters. I own one of the USRA winchester versions and the first thing I found out was the scope had to mounted so high to clear the bolt handle is made for one ugly rifle. So I modified the bolt handle and now the scope sits just off the barrel, just like it should.

As for the mounting of a receiver sight the Lyman sight application is a 48F, third version. This is the sight Winchester used on the sporting rifles up until the end of production of the 52C sporter. Finding one of these sights could take some time, they are super rare and cost more than alot of rimfire scopes. Other receiver sights will fit but wood has to be nothced out of the stock. As to the front sight ramp, any good one of the proper height can be used and they could be silver soldered to the barrel. therefore no holes need to be drilled. The last 48F Lyman went for over $400 on fleabay.

Yes, I found out about the high bolt when I tried to mount a scope. How did you modify the bolt to bring the scope down? I still can't figure out why Browning didn't make this repro true to the original, with a front sight...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dipits
    I have two of the browning 52 that I realy like to shoot.
    One for tree rats and the other ( Which was a gift so each G-daughter would end up with one ) for target
    Don't worry about value do what you like and enjoy . Life is to short to worry about value of something that you probely will not ever sell.

You make an excellent point...!