In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Rifle #2

SherriTSherriT Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
The original thread was closed so here is a new thread for more feedback from all of you experts. Thank you so much for all the help.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=487681

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A very handsome drilling. Pretty unusual for these war trophy guns to retain their scope sights.

Maybe I can contribute a little.
    Calibers are 16 gauge shot for the 65mm = 2 9/16" shell, not the current 2 3/4" shells. You can get them from Polywad Vintagers
    http://www.polywad.com/vintager.html
    and RST
    http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm

The rifle barrel is probably 8x57JR - same as 8mm Mauser except with a rim and the old .318" bullet as used from 1888 til 1905 (and longer in sporting rifles.) Midway lists them but does not have any on hand.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=3&categoryId=20838&categoryString=653***690***

I think the operation of the gun will be like so:
    There is probably a button on the top tang behind the locking lever. If so, one way it selects the front trigger to fire the right shot barrel, the other way it selects the front trigger to fire the rifle barrel and pops up an open rifle sight for use if the scope is not on the gun. When on the rifle position, you can push the "single set trigger" forward until it catches, at which time it will fire with a much lighter pull. Be careful, best to use it without setting except for long hard shots.
    The rear trigger fires the left shot barrel.

The button in the plate on the left side of the gun is the Greener type safety.

Your Zeiss Zeilacht scope is an 8 power.
    Note that there is an empty scope base under the existing scope.
    Either the owner had a bigger scope installed or maybe he had two scopes, the 8X for when he anticipated a long shot, a lower power, shorter tube scope for closer work. They didn't have variable power scopes in those days.

The engraving shows a bit of wear. That is because the Dural (aluminum alloy) reciever is not as hard as steel. But it is lighter and makes a three-barrelled gun less of a load in the field.

Sorry, I can't guess a resale value.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In going back and looking at the auctions that have ended, the best I could seem to compare this with was a German drilling that sold for $1800. There were a whole lot of drillings for sale but not many sold. As noted the scope is the real value here. Together they will bring less here than separated.

If you don't have to sell it I would wait.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I strongly disagree with sandwarrier about separating the gun and scope to get more money. That scope is hand fitted to the bases on the gun. There is no standardization like there is on recent scope mounting assemblies. I looked for years for a qd ring assembly to fit a drilling that I owned. Several scopes with mounts looked similar but none came close to fitting. It is uncommon to find the scope with the drilling. It would be shame to separate these.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information. I will keep you posted with a sale price when it is sold.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    I strongly disagree with sandwarrier about separating the gun and scope to get more money. That scope is hand fitted to the bases on the gun. There is no standardization like there is on recent scope mounting assemblies. I looked for years for a qd ring assembly to fit a drilling that I owned. Several scopes with mounts looked similar but none came close to fitting. It is uncommon to find the scope with the drilling. It would be shame to separate these.

+1..leave it all together.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SherriT, Are you listing the gun for sale on the gunbroker auction site? If so, please post a notice on this forum as some of us may want to bid.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel

For aesthetic reasons I would wholly concur. It has just been my experience that unless you really find the perfect niche for this that the scope would bring more off the rifle. Than with the rifle.

And FWIW, I agree too that you won't find the mounting system like this one. But, I've seen these go and the buyer never hardly care about re-scoping a rifle like that. And, I've seen folks go nutz over a Zeiss like that.

I do agree with you though, in that it certainly would be a better set-up all together.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Valid points, Mr.S.W.,,I sure owuld like to have it as is though,,nice setup.
    Please advise us if/ when you put it up here for sale.T.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have never listed a gun before. I am assuming that I have to get a licensed person to list it for me? Please advise on how I would go about listing on this site.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow the instructions at this link.

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/HowToSell.aspx

You don't need to be a Federal Firearms Dealer to sell guns on this site.