In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Info on 38 S&W Special CTG

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Good Evening! I have recently acquired a 38 S&W Special CTG revolver. It is marked as a "Mod 14-4" and has a 6" barrel. It's in pretty decent shape and was used by my parents as a Homeland Defense weapon. Needless to say, it has had VERY few rounds through it. I was wondering if any Experts here have more info on this type/model revolver. Here a pic:

bikepics-1797875-full.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a high quality target revolver, commonly known as a "K-38". The "14-4" engineering variation was made during the late 70's, early 80's time frame.

They are fairly common and show up on the net gun auctions frequently. Check out the actual selling prices to get a ball park value for yours.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its the target version of the classic Smith and Wesson "K-frame" (that's the medium frame) revolver.

Smith used to label this gun the K-38 "Masterpiece" (Smith was not particularly shy about self promotion, back in the day).

Yours has the oversized Smith "target" grips, and a target (patridge-type) front sight (as opposed to the ramp-style "combat" sight). Yours may also have the wide target-style trigger and/or hammer, but I can't get a clear look at those in the image.

In case you haven't figured it out, Smith and Wesson pioneered the .38 special cartridge, so they like to call it ".38 SMITH AND WESSON Special" (just like the also call the more recent automatic round the ".40 SMITH AND WESSON"). But it will shoot the same common .38 special rounds you can buy just about anywhere that sells ammunition.

This gun should be highly accurate and well suited for target shooting or even hunting small to medium sized game. Obviously, you could use it for defense, though a shorter barreled gun might work a bit better for concealed carry or general "indoor" use.

While not particularly rare, these older blued steel target type .38s are no longer being manufactured, and they are both appreciating in value and becoming increasingly collectible. The diehard Smith collectors appreciate older guns like yours made when parts were fitted by hand (not injection molded), and the guns didn't have lawyer-induced key-locks built into them.

Lastly, based on the image you've thoughtfully provided, I'd ballpark your gun as worth around $375 +/- $25. You can tack on maybe another $50 if you've got the original box and papers.

Edit: For Laredo Lefty. . .thanks. I thought this probably had the target hammer and trigger. IMO, they are nice touches on a target gun. On grips, for what its worth:

Smith "target" grips (Model 19):
    101-0181_IMG.jpg?t=1254850966

Smith "Magna" grips (pre-War K32):
    Pre-WarK-32.jpg

The "target" grips were, obviously, originally intended for target shooting, though eventually Smith issued them standard on most of its service/combat magnum guns such as the model 19 in 357 magnum depicted in the image with the red background above. These grips are both fatter (front to back) filing up the space behind the triggerguard, as well as wider (side to side) to fill up more of the shooter's hand.

Personally, while I like the target grips much better than the Magna sytle, I still find the coarse checkering irritating, and the overall grips a little too big and blocky for my hands.

The "Magna" grips, as the name implies, were originally intended for magnum revolvers. The space behind the trigger guard is left open for a higher grip to help mitigate recoil and also to allow space to help prevent the trigger guard from banging the gripping fingers under recoil. These grips tend to work well for people with smaller hands.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gun has a target hammer and trigger which is very common on this model. As mentioned the grips are the oversized "magnum" style usually used on "K" frame .357 magnum model 19's & 66's etc.

I carried a model 14 for a few years when I started in police work. They are very reliable and accurate guns. LAPD issued them to their troops back in the day.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    S&W also made a single-action-only version of the K-38 which was favored by some match shooters. The K's were capable of near-phenomenal accuracy in any version. Then again, the N-frames were, too. I can't count the number of times I'd seen K's and N's with barrels that were all the way from 3 1/2 to 8 3/8 inches shoot a cloverleaf at 50 yards. And as defense guns, the K's are generally credited with having the best DA pull of any revolver. IMHO, it was a pity that some people tried to improve on this by spring-cutting, and trying other insensibilities, which only defeated reliability. I think the Smiths of the 1950's through the early 1980's were the high point of revolver manufacture, no matter who made the guns which competed with them, or when.

I would consider your K-38 as a keeper, for sure.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't listen to those other guys. Your gun is junk. Send it to me immediately.

I have a fine Jennings 9mm I can send you. [:D]
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zinderbloc
    Don't listen to those other guys. Your gun is junk. Send it to me immediately.

I have a fine Jennings 9mm I can send you. [:D]

Alright, thanks for saving me on this. Go ahead and send the Jennings along with your return address, and I'll get the S&W out to you first thing......
  • renee8925renee8925 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend gave me a S&W 38 for protection. I would like to give him some money for it. However, I am having a hard time finding any information on the "C" prefix serial number

The right side of the gun has the

Trade Mark

MADE IN USA
    MARCAS REGISTRADAS
    SMITH&WESSON
    SPRINGFIELD, MASS.

The right side of barrel has 38 S.&W.SPECIAL CTG

The left side of barrel has SMITH & WESSON

The bottom of the barrel has C 334907

The Butt of the gun C 334907

The Chamber has C 334907

When the chamber is open the markings on the gun read
    H

Any idea what I have here? And how much I should give him?

I would post pictures but I cannot figure out how to:)

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You probably have a 1955 K-frame M&P revolver, with the C serial number.
    You don't say what the condition is.
    It could be worth $100-400, depending on condition.
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, my God!! has it actually come to this??!!

quote:I have recently acquired a 38 S&W Special CTG revolver. It is marked as a "Mod 14-4" and has a 6" barrel. It's in pretty decent shape and was used by my parents as a Homeland Defense weapon.

A "Homeland Defense" weapon, huh. Protecting der Vaterland, are we now? Fer Chris sake!!

It just keeps getting worser and worser don't it?