In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice on restoring stock finish

jazzman111jazzman111 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a Weatherby rifle with a number of scratches and dings in the finish. The finish appears to be polyurethane. Would appreciate advice on how I might get the stock restored. Is it something I can do myself? Or am I looking at taking it to a professional? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I use clear urethane for finishing, if the gun has surface scratches, but nothing that made it throught the varnish, you can lightly sand the finish with some 600 grit then revarnish. If it got into the would you'll have to do a little more work. Either way, it's pretty easy, just don't get carried away with anything. I'd volunteer to refinish it for you but I am terribly busy the next few weeks.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jazzman111, Just like kingjoey said, if it didnt make it through to the wood you can just do some light sanding and throw on another coat of poly.

For removing light scuffs I recommend using a corse scotchbrite pad.

For applying the poly, the stock should be vertical, preferably hanging from a mounting screw hole.

After the first coat dryes buff with a very fine steel wool.Then apply another coat(repeat if neccessary).You will have a beutiful finish.GOOD LUCK[:D]

"The quieter you become,the more you can hear."

AC Tactical
  • Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jazzman111, I use pretty much the same products as the other posts, mine being the Diamond urethane spray made by Min Wax. It comes in a spray can, is extremely tough, easy to apply, and blends very nicely with other finishes, give it a try, and let us know what you came up with. The main thing is to follow the instructions on the can to a tee! Extremely important!

Good luck,

BigBarn

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
  • Options
    jazzman111jazzman111 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November -1