In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Mod. 870 Express

scw49scw49 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I've found a fairly good deal on a new 12 gauge Remington 870 Express. My question is, are regular 870 barrels compatible with 870 Express receivers or am I stuck trying to find Express barrels? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 870 Express parts,bbls.etc are compatible with the regular 870 Wingmaster.The difference is in the exterior finish only.The Wingmaster has a polished blue metal finish and usually a gloss finished walnut stock. The express has the dull matte metal finish and dull plain hardwood stock or a synthetic stock. The express is the same gun just a much cheaper version.
  • Options
    1armbandit1armbandit Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I've found a fairly good deal on a new 12 gauge Remington 870 Express.

Be sure to check Walmart. They carry the 870 Express and their price is hard to beat.

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    just something to think about you should be able to find a nice older wingmaster for about the same price as you will pay for that express and that wingmaster will be much smoother and a hole lot better looking than the express , exemple this spring I purchased a used wingmaster 12ga, with a fixed choke 30" vent rib barrel for $175 , since I didn't want that long of barrel I sold it (the barrel) for $75 and picked up a used barrel that had rem chokes for right at $100 , so now I have a very nice wingmaster that is smooth as silk for right at $200 thats less than you will pay for a new express .

now on the other hand if you want a gun that is going to get beat up any way (finish that is ) then go ahead and get the express cause that matt finish can take it
    just my .02 worth [:D] have a good time with which ever you decide to buy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gskyhawk,

That's a thought. I'm just thinking about getting an inexpensive house shotgun. I too have little use for the longer barrel and would have to replace it anyway. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive found that wal-mart doesnt carry any 870 expresses in anything shorter than 28". and they wont order anything thats not in their catalog, which doesnt include anything shorter than 28. obviously, for a house-gun, 28" is a little long, but their are alot of plain 18" barrels out there, i would get one of those.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a synthetic stocked Walmart 870 with 28" remchoked barrel for our house gun. Keep it loaded with 2-3/4" #4 buckshot. Just last night I gave an armordillo digging around in the yard an express ride to heaven...or where ever perforated armodillos go.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local dealer who probably has 4 or 5 different home defense style shotguns on hos rack. Mossberg 500 Persuader 18 inch pistol grip or full stock is perfect for what you want. You should be able to buy a new one for $250.00.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?