In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old muzzle loader

mrlk_54mrlk_54 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
old 16ga muzzle loader with riddle on hammer plate, no other markings, info please

jdc

Comments

• Options
    mrlk_54mrlk_54 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old smoke stick that I was wondering if any knew anything about. It is made by Tyler Davidson and Company in Cincinnati,Oh. Some one told me it was about 200 years old. It is a percussion rilfe so I dont believe that but I guess it could have be converted. Any help you can give will be helpfull.

Mirando Ketner
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid we need a little more information than you've provided if we are to be of much help.

What is the style of the rifle? What are the markings on barrel and lock? Anything distinctive on or about the stock? Do you know the caliber? What is the condition of the rifle, particularly the bore?

Pictures are a tremendous help. Our forum is not like a shop you can walk in to and hand over the rifle for inspection and opinion(s). There are some very knowledgeable people here, but you have to help us to help you. If you have pictures (digital images) or access to a digital camera, but no way of posting the pix, use the email icon above this reply to contact me. I will give you my direct email address so you can send them to me as standard email attachments and I will post them for you.

UPDATE - Received a number of PIX which I will post below. Rifle looks like it may be an early (Schutzen sp???) rifle, especially with the sights.

Hard to tell from the pix, but I'd say maybe around 40 cal.with very deep grooves.

Appears that there may be something broken off in the barrel (maybe ramrod????) as the obstruction don't look quite right to be corrosion.

While the rifle is probably well beyond practical restoration to shooting condition it will make a great wall hanger and anything that we can tell the owner should only make the piece more interesting.

Not much else I can do/add here but the pix.

6681971-S.jpg
    6681973-S.jpg
    6681983-S.jpg
    6681981-S.jpg
    6681975-S.jpg
    6681978-S.jpg
    6681974-S.jpg
    6681980-S.jpg
    6681972-S.jpg
    6681969-S.jpg

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Tyler Davidson.....Cincinnati, Ohio, Maker of Percussion gunlocks...
    Made Locks for the Trade... This according to Satterlee and Gluckmann's American Gun Makers Dated 1940...
    Is there any other names on this Rifle..Top of the Barrel Possibly?

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Its a Half Stock Plains Rifle....Not Worth trying to restore...The Drum is missing and I'll bet the Farm the Treads are destroyed...This style of Percussion System was the Weakest Made...I've owned at least a Dozen Percussion Guns of this type and have found that over the years the Corrosive residue from the Powder and Fuminate eat into the treads of the Drum, and have been known to blowout the Drum from the barrel like a Projectile..Hang it on the Wall and enjoy the History hanging there...Trying to restore this gun would destroy the value of its antiquity...........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff