In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington percussion serial # info

john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Belt Model .36 cal. double action full fluted revolver. Where do I look on it for a serial #? Thanks for any help. John

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the base of handle between the grips, inside ON the grips ussually hand penciled, and perhaps under the rammer lever on barrel. It's been a while and mine was an 1858 New Model Army so there could be differences.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1KYDSTR, Thanks, I pulled the grips and there it was at the base of the grip frame, left side. No pencilling on the wood grips tho. John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1KYDSTR, I just checked under the rammer and there is a number there too. 20# on the grip frame and 25# on the barrell under the rammer. I wonder which is right. And I wonder why they didn't stamp it on the frame itself.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surely wish I could give you a definitive answere on this one, but we have run to the end of my limited knowledge on these fine revolvers! The penciling on the grips was usually done at the armorers level as issued. Are there acceptance stamps on the outside of the grip panels themselves? Even if they are faint? If not, instead of a navy type I would asume it to be a commercial issue. Not really sure about the numbers on the barrel and rammer, so I'm at a loss there! DEoes seem odd that they are that close together though!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I think you are correct; it probably is a civilian model. There is no cartouche on the wood grips, and only a B and an R on the rammer which I assume is simply a parts I.D. Maybe someone who is a collector can give us an answer. John