In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK47 Specifications (looking for the right AK)

MastersonMasterson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Ok, I really honestly only signed up to this forum looking for somebody's help in finding a specific AK47 Assault Rifle...Obviously the one I'm looking for is 7.62 x 39 caliber..I plan on using a 75 round drum so that eliminates using a 10 round or so magazine...It's been so damn hard for me to find the right one...It has a folding stock, not the underfolder either...
In addition to that, 2 grips (not 1), and longer...to make it a whole lot easier I can put a picture in here http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/AK SAR 1 8 03.jpg ...if it works..Now just picture that except having the folding stock instead of the shoulder on the Rifle..2ndly, the color of the wood is perfect, but I'm looking for a grip right where the wood is shown in the picture to the right of the magazine.....
This is complicated, but I did my best in explaining and I'm not very good at giving directions or doing stuff like this

so anyone who can help, thanks

Comments

• Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    So you're looking for an AK with both a side folding stock and a front grip under the handguard?

I don't think there is an official designation for such a configuration... you'd probably have to buy the parts seperately.

You also mention that it is longer... sounds like an RPK to me. An RPK with mods.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yea, you pretty much got it...The link I originally sent in my very first post is practically the same AK47 I want minus the shoulder and handguard....In place of the shoulder would be the folding stock (not underfolder), and in place of the handguard would be a wooden grip (same color as the handguard though)

thanks

I have seen this AK Before (not on the internet)... You're right about me possibly having to buy additional accessories such as the grip and all...
    If there is such a designation out there that anyone might know about, I'de appreciate your help

thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only legal way your going to get your hands on your dream AK with the side folding stock is to buy one of the pre ban imports.

I believe the AK would have had to have been imported prior to 1990.

Although a lot of those folding stocks were sold over the years, it's still against the law to retrofit them to any post ban AK, no matter how many American made parts it has.

I'm not altogether sure that you can legally retrofit a pre ban fixed stock AK with a folding stock?

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this dream AK is Chinese made...a Chinese made AK.. I did read something about the fixed stock...Somewhere around there..
    I'm not really altogether sure.. about it being illegal
    I know for sure exactly what I'm looking for, only problem is WHERE to buy it. Gunbroker.com has practically every gun anybody can possibly own, but they don't got this...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a picture of the Chinese side-folder, to the best of my knowledge it never came with a wooden stock.

smithak47chicom01.jpg
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps you should wwake up from your dream?/// nambu
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There are only two AK variants which were produced with the destinctive front grip and those are the Hungarian AMD-63/65 and the Romanian AIM series. The AMD series used a the standard rear pistol grip set in the reverse position at the front while the AIM used a laminated front grip which is intigrated into the forearm. Both versions were available with a folding single strut metal butt stock for tank, armored vehicle, and other special uses. Commercial versions of each rifle were imported into the United States but none were fitted with the front grip. It is possible to retrofit the front grip on eithr rifle by purchasing the correct parts (or parts kit) from parts houses like Centerfire Systems (AMD parts kits). Attaching the factory single strut butt stock means changing the rear of the receiver which is difficult but there are surplus East German side folders avaialble out there for under $50 and these are a direct replacement for the wood stock. There are some Pre ban Hungarian under folders on the resale market but they sell for over $1500. Most of this information is for academic purposes only because currently installing a folding stock onto a post ban AK type is prohibited. I have over a dozen AKs including the Romanian rifle you are searching for without the folding stock (a big waste of time IMHO) but I have no way to post photos.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yea, it is a bit complicated. I have a Camera so I'll take a picture of the AK 47 I am talking about. To my knowledge, it was a Chinese Made Automatic AK47 But I have no way of knowing for sure..
    My camera is somewheres around my house so when I find it I'll get the pic
    But hey, thanks for the help guys...Aside from this SPECIFIC ak I'm looking for that "supposedly" doesn't exist (it does, except its very rare), I'll find ones similar to ones I'm talking about. The following picture is closest to what I can find in similarity to the AK47 I'm talking about http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=20768214 (although I don't like the actual looks)
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Look at GB# 21147419. No folding stock but that could be added.

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    Look at GB# 21147419. No folding stock but that could be added.

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O

No offense meant but I believe your in error. The Romanian AK you reference is a post-ban import. Don't believe there is any legal way you can add a folding stock.

luger_4.jpg