In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on Cimmaron SAA .45's

ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Got the bug for a SAA. Too much History Channel lately. Anyway, the real deal (Colt) is running in the $1200 range, NIB. These Cimmarons are about $400. Anyone have any experience with them. I'd be shooting, not collecting.

Comments

• Options
    ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned several Cimarron firearms including several of their SAAs. I think they are a good choice for SAA replicas but it is important to understand how the 'world of replicas" is actually set up:

If you are going to go into the SAA replicas, you really only have a couple of choices. Cimarron, EMF, Navy Arms, Traditions ect, don't actually make anything. They are all importers of mostly Uberti made firearms. In addition to the Ubertis, another Italian company Pietta offers a series and USFA makes two replica versions here in the US, the Rodeo and their SAA. You can also still find ASM made pistols although that company is now out of business. In my own experience and in talking to many shooters, the USFA pistols (those made in the last few years) are by far of the highest quality and usually ready to go out of the box. Unfortunately, their blued version, the SAA, sells for nearly as much as an actual colt. The rodeo is the same pistol and sells for about $500 but is only made in a Matt black finish that many find unappealing--personally I like it as it can be easily made to look "antiqued."

So, like the rest of us wanting a "cowboy gun," you quickly find yourself in the world or Italian replicas. I would stay away from the ASM pistols as they have had lots of problems and parts can't be found anymore and the Pietta pistols since their offerings are relatively new and unproven--although they have gotten some good reviews. Many have claimed that one importer or another is better because they demand higher QC from Uberti or they have a special deal with them or whatever. Frankly, I am not so sure this is true. In fact, buying any Italian replica is somewhat of a crap shoot. The reality is that Uberti has a near monopoly on a product in high demand and the importers have customers screaming for more and more. Years ago, this resulted in some pistols which maybe should have been rejected or sent back "onto the line" for more work being sold. My understanding and experience has been that this happens less and less frequently and that everyone has increased their QC over the last few years. However, all of the Italian replicas tend to be built with overstrengthed springs to make up for loose tolerances and this can result in excessive wear. Also, as seems to be the reality with many weapons makers today, you are likely to find some burrs and machining marks.

Fortunately, the growth of Cowboy action shooting has produced alot of gunsmiths well versed in getting these pistols up to competition form and spare parts are readily available for all Uberti firarms from Numrich or VMI. All of that being said, I have had great luck with Cimarron Ubertis and if you are gong to get a SAA replica, sticking with them seems to offer the best odds of getting a problem free pistol--especially if you are not going to subject it to the rigors of competition. I would recomend buying a pistol you could handle and visually inspect. It has been my experience that if the grip frame is well fitted and if their are few machining marks on the "inside" of the frame (visiable after you pull out the cylinder) you likely have a good pistol. If that's not possible and you must buy online or over the phone, at least buy one from a reputable dealer like Traditional Effects or Frontier Firearms that will work with you if you do have a problem.

I would recomend spending some time on the SASS and CAS wires and listening to what cowboy action shooters have to say and welcome to the wonderful and addicting world of SAA and cowboy shooting. Soon you will see that you can't stop at just one. BTW, 45 is the "only" caliber in my opinion. If you want shoot 38s, get a saturday night special, Cowboys shoot big pills.
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot, ker2222. May I ask one more question? What is the quality of the Colt SAA being produced today. How much of the price tag is for the name, how much is for the quality of the revolver? Thanks again.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The quality of the COLT SAA made today is pretty poor. It feels and sounds like sandpaper when you cock the hammer. They look nice, but that is about it.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Ker2222...Am I mistaken in the issue of Berretta making a SAA now? I am pretty sure I saw them at GAT Guns in Dundee Illinois when I wandered through the "Cowboy" section a while back. Is this just another rebadged Pietta or Uberti as well? Just curious and it sounds as thopugh you know a fair bit about the topic. Thanks in advance.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as the Quality of the Colts is concerned, I have never owned one but have heard lots of reports like Chris8161. I have know several shooters that have had to send their Colts back and get them smoothed by a smith just like the Italian replicas. If I were going to have to spend 100-150 on getting a pistol smithed, I would rather have spent an original 400 on a Uberti rather than 1200 on a Colt.

Berretta is currently making a SAA replica--sort of. They are making a pistol called a Stampede which is a replica of the Colt 1873 except that it has replaced the original hammer and firing pin set-up of the Colts with a modern Transfer Bar system like the Ruger Vaqueros. It is a safer system but if you want any kind of "historical replica" it hurts the eyes and ears as. The issue is further clouded by the fact that Beretta has recently bought Uberti. So, in fact, all of the Uberti guns are currently being made by Beretta...

At the end of it all, especially if you are going to buy just one pistol, I would recomend checking out the Cimarron and EMF on-line cataglogues and find a model you want. Both companies are selling Uberti pistols but each company has tried to differentiate their products by offering different configurations, different stampings and markings ect. After you've found one you want, just order it. Hopefully you'll get a perfectly functioning pistol but make peace with the fact that you may have to do some minor tuning or polishing to really get the gun to run right.

I love all of my pistols. I have purchased 3 blackpowder colts and 5 SAA type pistols. Of those, 1 was an ASM which had lots of problems and had to be returned. 1 was a pietta (blackpowder 1851) and it worked great out of the box. The rest have been Ubertis. Of those, I have had smithing work done on four of them but only one of them really needed it as there was a problem with the timing and indexing. The rest I choose to have work done simply because I get a kick out of tuning and customizing these "old" guns.
  • Options
    isofahunterisofahunter Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a shooter check out Cabelas. I just bought the Uberti Millenium revolver from them and and very happy. For 229.00 you cannot go wrong with it. Same as the Cattleman from Cimarron without the fancy finish.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    ndbilly; Next trip to L.A., Give Me a shout and We can hop into the Pickup and cruise out to Santa Ana and have a personal looksee at what EMF has to offer in the used/abused Bin...I need a part anyway...so lets plan on it.......Best.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    forget about that imported stuff and buy a Ruger Vaquero , yes its not a true copy of a colt but so what, if you want something that will last a lifetime and most likey not need the help of a smith go with the Ruger