In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Submachine Gun Ammo in Pistols????

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was given some Samson brand ammo in 9mm.

It says on the box "For use in carbines and submachine guns only, not for use in pistols"

I have heard that Ruger pistols will shoot this ammo with no problems and not voiding any implied warranty.

I have a KP89, KP93, and KP95, would it hurt to shoot this ammo in any of these guns??

ruger2.jpg

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Check with the Manufacturer..Gunmaker and or Ammo Maker..Machinegun Ammo builds more pressure than standard Ammo....You don't want heresay...You want Fact!!!!

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Don't do it. SMG ammo has a different burn and impulse time to help cycle the action. It is probably +P+ rating (or hotter) too. I'm going to need some for testing a prototype in a few months and that stuff is fairly commonly used in SMG's.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

NO OFFERS TO BUY,SELL OR TRADE ON THE ASK THE EXPERTS FORUM.....
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do it. All the years I had my FFL, I chose not to sell that ammo for the protection of my customers.I had tried some and could tell a definate difference in recoil in my P226 SIG.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Well Grasshopper to make a long story short, any handgun that you want to shoot SMG ammo must be rated for +P ammo. I would like to share some information I gleaned from IMI a couple of years ago. quote:Boomerang

posted August 07, 2002 05:09 AM
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between these two cartridges? Is 9mm Carb ammo safe to fire in a pistol? Is 9mm Carb ammo loaded to higher pressures than regular 9mm Luger ammo (e.g. +P+ levels or higher)? I was told that 9mm Carb is loaded to the same pressures as 9mm Luger, but just has a stiffer/harder primer surface so as to prevent slam fires from occuring in UZIs and other carbines. So then, what is the real story on this ammo?

Boomer

[ August 08, 2002, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Boomerang ]
    Posts: 4 | From: Memphis | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged
    quote:IMI

posted October 14, 2002 06:42 PM
    The correct updated description for "9mm Carb" is 9mm Luger +P. 9mm Luger +P is loaded to higher pressure levels than standard 9mm Luger ammo. 9mm Luger +P can have pressure of up to 2550 KG/CM 2 while standard Luger can have pressure of up to only 2320 KG/CM 2. The 9mm Luger +P round is designed for use with 9mm Luger +P pistols and also for use in submachine guns. Therefore 9mm Luger +P should not be considered as safe for firing in every pistol. The primer for both the +P round and the standard Luger round can be identical.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member