In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 710 -- Opinions

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Have been looking at a Rem 710 and a Savage 111. Anybody know how they perform and which is better? Also, the Rem 710 comes in .270, .30-06, and .300 win mag. Which would be the best for all around use, but primarily deer? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Given that choice,I'd go with the Savage.
    For that matter,I'd go with anything but the 710.(read JUNK)

I'll let the others explain.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with BW. The Savage is rugged, dependable and accurate beyond any dollar invested. I believe John Wayne said in the "Cowboys" talking about watches, "Come payday I want each of you boys to buy a Ingersoll-Rand, don't lose more than a minute a month and you can't break them with a hammer." The same applies to Savage rifles.

Lance
    10's Rule
    [:D]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I looked at the 710's back when I was looking at rifle's. The low low price made me curious. I noticed that the stocks were made out of real plastic. Even the trigger gaurd was molded plastic. It came with a pre-sighted bushnell scope and a detatchable mag. That was about the only two items that I liked about it. The bolt was harsh to open and pull it back. The biggest killer of it came from a couple of reviews I read about the bolt breakin in two. I learned that it had plastic inserts in it that tended to break. Unless they updated it since then I also learned that if something happend to the stock then you were just out of luck. Being that the barrel is pressed into the plastic stock. I'm also pretty sure that you cannot replace the barrel if something were to happen to it. I started refering to it as Remingtons disposable rifle. I ended up with an A-bolt.
  • Options
    vegasbljvegasblj Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never herd a good word about the remington 710. A savage is a great rifle, very accurate go with the savage or get a Remington 700 ADL they are great also.

ben
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell 10x more Savages than Remington's out of these two models. The 710 is one of Remington's biggest pieces of garbage that they have ever made. Cheap bolt and safety problems galore.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure am glad I aked the question. Thanks a lot for the input guys. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have quite a few rifles built on the 700rem action,...but I have no plans on ever owning a 710rem. Hope that enforces what has already been stated.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another inexpensive rifle of good reputation is the Howa. It is available in most as many calibers as the savage. It has been marketed by Smith & Weson and Weatherby under different names. You might consider looking into those. Another is the Charles Daley Mausers, used to be the Interarms Mark X. Their field grade is getting good reviews and it is a true Mauser action.