In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

movin up

bluecollarbluecollar Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Recently Ive been thinking about adding a 12ga to the gun cabinet. I have a couple Mossberg 500 20ga. pumps that have worked pretty good over the years, but trading them both in for something stronger sounds pretty good. I was looking at a Remington 870 or something else that can be played with a little with a good choice of aftermarket options, but spending my time tinkering with rifles, dont know an awful lot about shotguns. Are there better buys for the money that I didnt see?

Comments

• Options
    ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 870 is hard to beat. Very reliable and can find many aftermarket add ons.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've got to agree with that,but,the Mossberg Ulti-Mag is a good one too for the money.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to find you a 870 marine magnum, it is electroless nickel inside and out!!! it will take 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch. it is great for use around water, salt water and salt air, due to the finish. it comes with blauck synthetic furniture, and has a load of add on acessories available aftermarket. this shotgun is really hard to beat, especially for the money, [429 to 469]. great bad weather shotgun, and can be changed around for a home defense gun as well!!!!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shotguns are shotguns. gadgets and gimmicks and aftermarket gizmos do absolutley nothing to make a shotgun better. when you said movin up, i thought you meant you wanted to move up into a real shotgun, like a sbs or a o&u, where shotgunning is a sport and an art, not a means in which one can spent countless dollars on dingle dangles. if dingle dangles are what you want, the mossberg is actually a fine base plate. an 870 will suffice as well. it too will take pistol grips, extended mags, this that and whatever. i guess what i want to know is...what do you want to do to the shotgun to make it 'better' with aftermarket options that it wont already have when you buy it? what exactly do you want to play with it for? what do you want it to do? [?]

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aftermarket goodies dont to anything to the functionality of the shotty, but they can do a whole heck of a lot for the versatility. If I did go out and buy an over-under or side by side, then thats it. It would be something that looks nice and has 2 shots before a reload. As for what I want to do with it, bird hunt today, deer hunt tomorrow, protect my house the next day. Can I do that with one of your pieces of art?
  • Options
    bountyhunter_gabountyhunter_ga Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello,the 870 was a good shotgun but I carry the win 1300 defender 18" eight shot,,although they are hard to find,,you can now find them under the fm police assult shotgun,,same thing,,I like mine,,it looks like taking care of business
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hmm, maybe thats why i miss all those doves...i need that laser sight & folding stock! and lest i forget...i must paint my wood black to scare burglars away. they will think its an assualt shotgun and because its black, they will think im proficient with it. if shoes define womman, a shotgun defines a man. what does your shotgun say about...you? so, if youre looking to add a shotgun to your case, give it good thought. your mossbergs are just fine. if you want a 12ga, just get another mossberg. you will already know the guns design, making the transition easier. and once again...the question is why do you want to play with your gun? do you want to modify it to be better than it already is , or do you just want to adorn it with gizmos? im seriously trying to find out how to guide this fellow properly. [?]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if shoes define womman, a shotgun defines a man. what does your shotgun say about...you?

Good question. I want something that I can use for whatever I need it for, not having to go out and buy every shotgun that does every little job I might ever want it to do. If I can buy more than 1 barrels, thats basically 2 shotguns to me, and if I dont feel comfortable with the length or feel of the stock, theres the chance that there will be something that fits better. Completely customizeable, versatile, priced dang good,something that is what I want when I want it... Sounds like a good pair of shoes to me, where do I get those?[;)]
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Beretta 686 Onyx O/U, 12 guage. I also have 3 sets of full barrel inserts, that convert it to 20 guage, 28 guage, or .410 or some combination of these.

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote is for the 870 Marine.

A fundamental and reliable weapon that will fit many occassions.

Heavy[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its not a weapon until its pointed at someone, otherwise, its a firearm. bluecollar, it sounds like its time for your to move up to a over under with screw in chokes my friend. make it fit right one time, and it will last you all your life. no gizmos no plastic junk. pay a good price up front, and watch it grow in value over the years. my art has served me well. yours will to. pick a pretty one and care for it. like cars turn heads for some, so will a nice o&u on your shoulder....and all the birds you can carry, because, it fit you right and you could shoot it perfectly. and stick an 0&U in a thugs face....he'll know what it means. its the international 'im screwed' symbol. anything italian or modern american will be a good start. look at brownings too. email me for advice. lose the plastic. stay with classics.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bobski you got it right but we are both are old school or in other words old farts. The new guys can't believe that a basic gun will do just as good a job as a modified one will. The same thing goes with cars.They all think they can inprove anything and are the next JOHN BROWNING. quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shotguns, Handguns, rifles. They are like cars, each tells something about it's owner. Some are stodgy,some are sporting,but each has one thing in common. It's MINE, I'll do whatever I choose to it. If I choose to saw off the barrels on my Beretta, or even Model 21 Winchester, it's my buiness, it's my gun. If you choose to leave your 57 Chevy truck stock, I won't say anything, it's YOUR truck.
    John Moses Browning started SOMEWHERE, fooling around with someone else's designs. There is another JMB out there. He has to start somewhere too.
    Thank God there is no law against experimenting(for now at least).

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once- i will go along with bobski.
    I am old school-Parker's, etc.-but respect mostly what bobski attempts to say. perry shooter-perhaps you should re-visit your posts
    You have been shooting blanks for all too long. 101
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Well AIRBORNE looks like I did hit a nerve I agree with most of what you said but John Browning didn't go to WALLIE WORLD to buy his doo dads he made them . If you truely want to improve something you do the work not hang something on it. quote:"Praise the hardball gun"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    go to a gun shop and just look at all the attempts of owners personalizing guns in the used rack. heck, donny at greentop still has guns in his used rack from 20 years ago! people dont buy other peoples mistakes, they like to make their own. and just like cars, they end up in junk lots. sure, im not against american consumerism, but hey, just make sure youre not falling for some gun mfger's ploy to get you to buy a product without caring if you own it 2 years from now. the gun business has turned into marketing and profits more than marketing to an elliete group and satisfying them for life with one product. just dont fall for the gizmos, thats all im offering bluecollar, as he gets into shotguns. now excuse me, i have to install a laser sight on my clay tosser and tie a string to my watch and tape it to my forehead so my eyes will follow it to my watch. what a great idea. i should market it![:o)]

Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.