In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEED some advice

swiftyswedeswiftyswede Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I shipped a very nice custom rifle that I sold on-line via UPs ground. It was insured for the full amount, but it arrived at its destination with the stock literally split in half. What do I have to do now?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I need to thin my collection in order to make a few new purchases.

I need to get rid of at least two of the following. What would you recommend selling? What should I keep?

Marlin 336 30-30 w/ Redfield scope, made in 1975, 95%
    Russian SKS, made '49 to '52, receiver cover does not match, 95%
    Norinco SKS Paratrooper, Factory 26, 98%, all matching

Got to pay for the new M4 and used Ruger GP100 I just bought. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to buy my first rifle. I am thinking of buying a Mosin Nagant. I would also like to put some type of scope on this rifle and use it for target shooting. I guess I want a historical sniper rifle. I do not want to spend a bundle. I do not know anything about frosting or bluing. Just looking for some advice on which is the most solid and accurate nagant. Any advice would be helpful. I also welcome any other rifle suggestions.Thanks in advance.Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been off this forum for awhile[sometimes life gets complicated and busy]. Jumping back in because I need some advice from experienced GB sellers. I have a friend who is haveing some health issues, and may need to part with his firearm collection. I don't remember exactly how many he has, but about 15 or so collectable Remingtons. I said I would help him sell on GB if he wants. He would really like to sell the entire collection together. My question is; do you think he could get a better price selling as a group, or seperatly? Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FILE A CLAIM WITH UPS.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do they examine the gun? Was I supposed to ship it ground? How long does this usually take to clear up? thanks guys
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im going to assume the buyer rejected the gun. now, do you have the receipt of insurance and shipping number? if so, go to the ups counter and tell then what happened. they will direct you what to do. it will most likely involve them contacting the receivers ups at his end and have them document the damage with pics, before its sent back to you.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do they carefully examine the packaging? From the description of the damage to the gun, I believe that there may be no damage to the packaging. A simple good drop, regardless of how well it was packaged could have caused the wood to split. I was packaged by first wraping it in bubble wrap, and packing brown paper between the gun and the inside of the box. Do you think that I have anything to worry about. Anyone ever had any experience with this. Thanks
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, NEVER ship anything good with UPS. Unless you package it like you are mailing your child (minus the air holes, too many questions when you have those).

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swifty, even though I am on your side, it appears to me that the damage may be your fault. The clerks at my local UPS customer counter have opened a couple of my packages & have trained me to do a better job: you have to use styrofoam inserts, peanuts, bubble wrap, or, best of all, double box the item. And, you have to "over fill" the box with packing material. Wads of packing paper or newspaper will do little to cushion a gun if the box is dropped.

Having said that, you will be reimbursed if you complain loud enough & long enough. UPS denies even legitimate claims the first time; everyone has to make a stink if they want what is due them. When they deny your claim, follow their appeals process. Then, start making calls to every manager you can contact; complain, complain, complain. If still unsuccessful, file a claim in your local court; the last thing they want is to have the local newspaper pick up your lawsuit. Eventually, they will come around.

Neal
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there, done that! For a rifle stock, it took about 3 months to get paid but I got full amount. It was a stock only, shipped in a box that a new gun came in. Since they had shipped it originally, I had a legitimate claim it was adequately packed. In this case the stock was broken in half thru the receiver area. Yes, they had to look at the stock and they kept it. I was told previously that claims under $200 they will accept without much of a struggle and I did get paid for an item by reducing the claim from $250 to $195. The rifle stock it was for a client and the value was for replacement of around $300. Keep the pressure on and you will probably get the money but you will feel that you earned it. Like the others I hate UPS for a lot of other reasons too. Rotsaruck!
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had many guns arrive with the barrel hanging out of the box..UPS ground means they can stack boxes on top of yours, and they will get squashed. That is why I ship US PRIORITY MAIL INSURED.I also purchase the signature confirmation. It eliminates the guesswork, and takes out room for dishonesty.
    I once had a business tell me that they never received my package.
    HELLO....I SAID, I GOT YOUR JOHN HENRYS..on the signature confirmation..
  • Options
    THINMANTHINMAN Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    * BE SURE TO KEEP ORIGINAL PACKAGE/BOX ..
    I SHIPPED A LEVER RIFLE WITH UPS . IT ARRIVED WITH HAMMER SPUR
    BROKEN . THIS WAS MY FIRST RODEO WITH UPS AND BEFORE I WAS TOLD HOW TO HANDLE IT THE FFL DEALER THAT RECIEVED IT SHIPPED IT BACK . UPS'S INSURANCE CO. WOULD NOT PAY UP ALTHOUGH UPS ADMITTED TO DAMAGING IT . REASON GIVEN WAS THEY COULDN'T SEE THE ORIGINAL BOX AND PACKING AND IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED BY THE DEALER THAT RECIEVED IT . AFTER THE UPS INSPECTOR CAME BY HE SAID THAT IT SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM . BUT THE INS. CO. AGENT WAS A REAL JACKA%* AND COULD NOT BE REASONED WITH .
    WE HAVE A DAILEY PICK=UP BY UPS AND HAVE HAD OVER 8 YRS NOW. THIS WAS OUR FIRST CLAIM EVER . NUMERIOUS TIMES I HAVE RECIEVED SHIPMENTS WITH MINOR DAMAGE/BLEMISHES/SCRATCHES THAT I FIXED ON MY TIME, NO MORE . I HAVE FILED 3 CLAIMS SINCE THAT NORMALLY I WOULDN'T HAVE FILED AND THEY HAVE PAID UP . IF THEY WANT TO PLAY BY THIER RULES AND QUOTE THE FINE PRINT B.S. THATS FINE WITH ME .

THINMAN
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had this happen with USPS also. By the time I got done with the whole rigamarole I ended up taking the gun back and repairing it myself. Great advice given here in this thread though make sure you pack your item like it was going to be tossed around a 100 times. This is one of the reasons why I dont feel bad about charging someone $25.00 for S@H a winning gun auction. UPS costs are already crazy and packing materials for each gun add up also.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?