In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MAC

dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
If I get a MAC 10 or 11, and I put the barrel extention on, what is the maximum range I can expect to hit?

Also, what is the best range if I fire an aimed semi auto shot.

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    My M-11 actually shoots pretty darn good at 25yds. The barrel quality varies but you should be good out to 25-50yds, past that "spray and pray"[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you keep asking the same question over and over? I think this is the 4th time you've asked.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Mooseyard. I am not quite 21 yet, and I know I want a full auto. When the time comes I'd like to make an informed decision. See, I really wanted an MP5K, but I won't have the $15,000 for that. I could get the Uzi because that is accurate has a slower rate of fire and bigger magazines available. However the reason I ask so many variants of the same question about the MAC's accuracy is because that is the only real drawback I see. I don't believe I've ever asked about the barrel extension before, and I apologize if I've offended anybody. I'm just in the process of making a huge decision with my limited funds and I guess what I really wanted to know was if the accuracy was a big drawback for the much more affordable MAC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The MP5 is the only somewhat accurate SMG out there. That is because it fires from the closed bolt instead of the open bolt. Now I'm sure someone is going to dispute this, but Macs and Uzis are not very accurate. The barrel extension has no effect on accuracy, nor does a suppressor. If you can afford the UZI get it. It is a much better gun, and it will hold its value better.
    Jess
  • Options
    TaiChiTaiChi Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsmith,
    Hi, I'm a Class III dealer and own, have owned or shot the above mentioned autos and a few others. My question to you would be what are you looking for in accuracy? In the full auto mode machine guns are designed to send a lot of rounds downrange quickly with a degree of accuracy (read moa of man, truck, tank, plane etc...). In the semi auto mode (if avaible) they are as accurate as any firearm with a similar type of action ie: open bolt,closed bolt,gas operated or recoil operated.

Steve
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsmith, here's a little tough love. You may be offended by it, &, if so, I apologize, but ---- someone needs to tell you.

Forget about the guns that you see in the movies. The Mac is a toy; it's a fun gun for plinking, but that's all. It isn't accurate, it's no good for target shooting, you can't hunt with it, & it's a poor choice for self-defense.

THE last gun you should be thinking about is the MP5. It's a GREAT toy, but one for the wealthy. For those who bought one 10 or more years ago, it was an investment; that's no longer valid today. Forget it until you are very successful.

With limited funds, you shouldn't be making huge decisions in regard to guns. Stick to the basics. Get your personal & financial business in order, &, only then, buy your toys. Buy good quality guns that are within your budget, & you will enjoy having them for the rest of your life.

Neal
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Listen to what Neal is telling You.....!

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    TrooperAllen469TrooperAllen469 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsmith,
    I had been qualified with an M-10, in the military. When I got out,I became a Deputy Sheriff, and was issued an M-10, .45, with extendable stock, and wipeless suppressor.
    The Sheriff said "Now, you ARE the SWAT team." After a considerable amount of practice, mostly dedicated to trigger control, I qualified on my states range. I was able to put all my rounds in an area roughly the size of a 10" pie plate. A total of five are fired at 30yds, 10 at 20yds, 20 at 15yds and 15 at 7yds. This constitutes "subgun qualification" in my state.
    The weapon is heavy, somewhat clumsy, and the trigger pull on an open bolt subgun is atrocious. There is little or nothing that can be done to improve or customize the weapon. My perception that the suppressor/barrel extension increased accuracy may have partially been that the weapon is better balanced, and you have somewhere to hang on with your left hand, with the suppressor in place. Although it might have been sufficient for military use in the 1970's, it never would have been my first choice as a law enforcement, or defensive weapon. However, the one time that I drew it, the offenders were quite intimidated. It was not necessary for me to fire a shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sense an anti-class 3 sentiment again?
    DSmith, if you want a machine gun, buy one. Don't listen to people who are trying to guess what your finacial situation is. It is none of their business. Some people say they are useless because you can't hunt with them, I don't give a rats@$$, because I don't hunt. Don't let other people tell you what kinds of guns you should and shouldn't be buying, buy what you enjoy shooting. A MG is still a excellent investment, no matter what others say.
    Jess
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model B uzi rifle is very accurate in semi-auto. I made 200 yard shots with it at hogs. The 9mm is not the best round for dangerous game. But if you know what you are doing, it is a killer. The maximum effective range is further than you can see without a scope. When bullets drop, they kill.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some pretty good answers here. One thing is for certain, whatever subgun you obtain practice, practice , practice. The M-10 will do what you ask of it, and IF you ever need to defend yourself with it KNOW how to use it. The .45 is much more difficult to control than a 9mm.
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dsmith,

I agree in part with what has been said so far, but of course, everyone has an opinion...

I agree that the mac is a plinker for most of us, it puts out a lot of lead and is fun, but for accuracy, it generally isn't...

The MP5 definately rates higher in the accuracy range, but it's price is the big hurdle.

The Uzi is ok, is a solid firearm, but can be pricey too.

I would recommend that if you want to get into the class 3 market, and not get in too deep to start, try out a Sten. They are relatively inexpensive, compared to the others, mags are cheap, they can be fairly accurate. Friend of mine who used to do r&d in the early development days always told me that the Sten is a good auto to start with, and if it grows on you, you can upgrade or improve on your collection from there...

Just my .02 cents....

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"