In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hot ak barrel

northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
what would you guys say is the limit of rounds in a norinco mak90 in one sesson? after 3 30 round mags at rapid fire i give it a rest in fear of a meltdown. can i go more? i have many aks and i shoot them all in turn in order to let them cool. it take 10 or so minutes to cool off enough to put back in the bag when i'm done. any info would be nice.
ps. i live in the northeast, would someone turn off the rain.

first rule of northern militia is that we don't talk about northern militia.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the original AK design was a full-auto and your Mak-90 is pretty much the same gun it would be pretty hard to damage it by overheating.

I have an AK type rifle and have shot up to 6 30rd mags at a time with no problems. Sure, it gets very hot,even my semi auto, but not hot enough to do damage. Your 3 30rd mags are not going to do damage to the gun, maybe to your hand if you grab the barrel.

When I see smoke coming off the barrel, I just put it down for a while to cool. A couple things I do to expedite cooling is to prop the bolt back so the barrel can get air from both ends, and lay the gun in the shade.

"Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    It would probably run until it melted, but you want to take it easy for the sake of your rifling and bolt. If I remember correctly the RPK which has a heavier barrel, was only "supposed" to be fired 80-100 rpm to prevent the barrel from overheating.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Northern ...
    We have a couple of mak90's, and SKS variations, but my boys and their (screened) buddies just have to shoot the mak-90's. Years back we delegated one gun as the rapid-repeat fire, tracer, steel jacket, whatever shootemup gun. It has been shot until you 'smelled wood smoke' many times. The next time you bring it to the range, clean and cool, it shoots about the same as others. It may not group as well, but it can still do what it was made to do.

Have fun ...

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remember that the ak was desinged as a full auto. i think it will get to hot to handle long before it gets hot enough to damage the weapon. i know after two 30 rounders and a 40 rounder, the damn thing leaves little burns on my hands and starts smokin.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the barrel turns red. Stop shooting. The bullet will lodge in the barrel.
  • Options
    drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello:
    The only thing you need to watch is walking away from a chambered Mac 90; especially when it's hot. You will get shell detonation. Food for thought.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put some http://www.k-var.com stocks on that gun. Their lower fore ends have a full length steel heat shield in them, yes they still heat up but much less than those wood ones.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg