In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rust Repair?

The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Wingmaster. It has the select wood, vented rib and other niceties. The only problem I have with it is that there are two tiny areas of rust on the barrel---rust the size of a pin-head. The areas are quite scaly, and really detract from the beauty of this shotgun.
Is this fixable?? If so, is it something I can do, or should I have a gunsmith do it? I was told that one could carefully remove the rust, then use a black magic marker to touch up the area, but I don't want to do that.
Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0000 steel wool and kerosene or a very light weight gun oil/solvent rubbed gently on the areas will remove the rust. Nothing can be done for the pitting which will be evident. Birchwood Casey makes a spot rebluing pen that works great for just such an area you describe. Go ahead and touch it up - we all do.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Tinman,
    Welcome,
    The Wingmaster is a nice gun. You refer to (2) tiny pinhead spots of rust. Are they actually (pin heads?) If such is the case, live with them but arrest further rust. Rust can not live w/ O2 present. Can not spread. Kill the source of the O2. Oil, varnish, etc. Your choice.
    I would not recommend any touch up blues-personal choice. Hunt the gun and enjoy. My old guns have seen many a hunt but I still will not
    wish to subject them to a Blue Wonder paint job or any touch up that may/likely make the original blue worse. Every stock scar and blue rub reminds me of a hunt, going back to 1961. Good luck- 101
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tinman,

I've used STAINLESS steel wool for many years, key is to use some light oil to get the oxide into solution and off the gun. Light rubbing action, as Kdub has mentioned, with the oil won't remove the bluing, but will take care of the rust. It will also smooth out the pitting, if it's gone that far. I wouldn't touch up the metal at this point, if its a small area. Just keep it well oiled when it isn't being used...

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"