In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old S&W identity help

krusty311krusty311 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
A friend's grandmother passed recently and in the progress of cleaning out her house he has found a old sw.It is nickel plated with a 4in barrel,I suppose the term would be "breaktop".Caliber is .38 s&w,along the top of the barrel there is five patent dates starting with aug.4,96 and ending with sept.14,09.Serial# is 53xxx
looking for some info on value,name of model and some idea of manufacture date.Thanks for the help everyone.
krusty

Comments

• Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recheck the s/n please. There appears to be a conflict between last patent date and the number that you gave. Unless the revolver is a 38 Perfected model the 38 DA model 5 digit s/n stopped in 1884.

Not many Perfected models were made, and I'm not sure they carried all of those patent dates, so I suspect that given the number of patent dates you have the standard 38 DA 4th or 5th Model with a 6 digit serial number starting with 53, but w/o more information, especially pictures of the revolver I can't say for sure.

If it is as surmised, in VG to Fine condition your looking at $200+/-

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most distinguishing feature of the "Perfected Model" is that it has BOTH a topstrap release and a side thumb release on the left side of the frame ( similar to the cylinder release on Hand Ejectors ). This was the only Top-Break model that had both of these features.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    krusty311krusty311 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe buddy you hit the nail on the head it has the side thumb release.What is "the deal" with the perfected model?
    krusty
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by krusty311
    Rufe buddy you hit the nail on the head it has the side thumb release.What is "the deal" with the perfected model?
    krusty

Last Top-Break design that S & W, brought to market. They made less then 60,000. Yours is a late one, probably made after W W I.
    If your friends revolver is in factory original, very good condition or better, it would probably be worth something.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In very good to fine condition $300-350 would be a good range.

The Perfected Model is an interesting piece. Your friend should consider holding on to it.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!