In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ted Williams Model or not??? Help

TheMainEvent55TheMainEvent55 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I recently aquired a 20 gauge shotgun from my grandfather, and am having a difficult time figuring out exactly what make it is. I believe the gun is a Ted Williams model, however i have been told that it is not Winchester made. The stock on the gun is cracked and needs replaced, but i would like to know the make so that i can replace it with the proper stock.

Currently i dont have the gun available to describe the exact details, however i will tommorrow. All i can say now is that it is a 20 gauge shotgun, that holds only 3 shells, it appears to be all nickle, it is a pump style as well. Tomorrow i can give more exact details but for now that is all that i can really say. Hopefully someone can at least help a little. Does anyone know of any other Ted Williams model 20 gauges? It appears to be an older gun and an informant told me today that it looked to be too old for the Sears Winchester model.

Thanks in advance for any help that could be given. I'll post again tomorrow with better info.

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Your info on the gun in question is much to limited for anyone to anwer your question. Tomorrow when you get it, post as many details as you can. Post a picture if you have the ability to do so this would help a heck of a lot.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello TME55...

As far as I know, all of the Ted Williams marked Sears & Roebuck firearms were made by Winchester. Somewhere on your shotgun there should be a number that looks like "273.xxxx". If you can provide that number, I can cross it to who made the gun and which model it is, but not when it was made.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ted Williams shotgun that was made by High Standard. You should probably take it to a good gun store. They would have reference books to look it up with. They also might have deals on good used stocks.

Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns cause they taste funny?
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum TME55! In the begining, Bert is correct when he said Winchester made the "Ted Williams". However Winchester slowly stopped making guns for Sears, other companies who made guns for Sears, High Standard, Marlin, Stevens, Mossberg, J C Higgins, Savage, Springfield, of which some may be "Ted Williams". We will need all the info from the gun to pin down the exact manufacturer. When you get the gun look on the barrel and the receiver, that's where all the info should be, and get back to us. Regards Dave
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF you have the Sears model #, you can look up the manufacturer and its model # in the cross reference lists in the back of the Blue Book or at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Alright, i got some more info on the gun. On each side of the top olf the barrel are some info. One side says:

"Proof Tested - 20 Ga.
    Chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" Shells"

The other side says:

"Ted Williams Model 21-20 Ga.
    Sears Roebuck and Co. 583.2078"

Hopefully this helps out a little bit. At least i know it is a sears model though. Again thanks in advance for any help that is given.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TME55: My book says that's a High Standard gun. contact:
    www.e-gunparts.com They should have a stock. Give them all the info you just posted. Regards Dave
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    The best I can come up with is High Standard mod.K2011.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot for all of the help.

I found out that it was indeed either Sears or JC Higgins. One part of the site lists it under JC Higgins, but to order parts it is listed under Sears. Nontheless it is indeed a High Standard 20 gauge. I think i pretty much found exactly what i am looking for now. Thanks again for all of the help, and i plan to return here more often when in need of questions or just to simply learn some more info.