In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester mod 94

crazy oxcrazy ox Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have aquired a Model 94 Winchester in very good condition. It has a 25 inch nickel steel barrel especially for smokeless powder. .32ws caliber. seriel # 925606. The stock and barrel are in good shape. The gun is very accurate at 30yds.. within a 50 cent peice. I would like to know the value of the gun and year it was made. I gave $250 for it.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey folks how can i tell what year a rifle was made.
    I have a old win. 94 s# 904518 that i need a date on
    thanks
    taz
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi crazy ox and welcome. I'm afraid more info will be needed like checkering on wood, octagon barrel, half octagon, and amount of finish remaining for an accurate value. Some good pics would also be helpfull. But I can safely say it was a BARGIN at $250.

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per Midas: DOM would be about about 1923 plus/minus. I question the barrel length. Bert H. will likely give you a differnt DOM as he is is the self proclaimed Winchester expert. I wish you the best. 101
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 94, Serial Number <925606> was produced in 1923.
    Serial Numbers for that Years Production Run, began at 919584 and ended at 938539............I'd estimate the value as discribed to be close to $400.00.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 101AIRBORNE
    Per Midas: DOM would be about about 1923 plus/minus. I question the barrel length. Bert H. will likely give you a differnt DOM as he is is the self proclaimed Winchester expert. I wish you the best. 101

The correct name is George "Madis", and I do not self proclaim to be anything other than a serious student of all fireams made by Winchester prior to 1964. The only Winchester Model that I truly do believe that I am an "expert" on is the Model 1885 Single-shot... and I am still discovering new pieces of information about it on a real regular basis.

For what is worth, I am a member of the Cody Firearms Museum, and as such, I do have free access to the surviving Winchester factory ledgers (and I make regular use of that priviledge). Over the many years that I have been researching Winchester made firearms, I have repeatedly proved that Madis' written information concerning serial to DOM is seriously flawed[:(]. I personally have over 1500 copies of Factory letters and Cody yellow sheets for at least a dozen different Winchester Models that disprove Madis' written works... some of them by as much as 15 years difference!

Now with that said, due to the loss of all Model 1894 serial number records above serial 353,999, it is extremely unlikley that it will ever be known exactly when serial 925606 was manufactured... but it most likely was circa 1922-1924.

Next comment... the barrel length is most likely 26" as that was the standard length for a Model 1894/94 Rifle. My bet is the craxy ox did not include the portion of the barrel screwed into the frame.

Last comment... $250 was a steal for that Rifle. However, as pointed out by others, without a detailed description of the entire Rifle (or posting some pictures of it in lieu of the written description), there is no way to say what it really might be worth.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun has a plain stock dark stain, no checkering and no engraving. the finish looks about 90% the barrel is round all the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crazy ox
    The gun has a plain stock dark stain, no checkering and no engraving. the finish looks about 90% the barrel is round all the way.

Hello crazy ox...

If your Model 94 Sporting Rifle has 90% of the original factory finish still on the frame/receiver, then you absolutely stole it at only $250!

A true Model 1894/94 Sporting Rifle that is still in 90% graded condition is worth a minimum of $1000, and could go a fair bit higher to the right collector.

Now if it has 90% of a reblue, then $400 is about right.

Bert H.

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    SIGH.........................................................

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by captkirk3@dslextreme.com
    SIGH.........................................................

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

OK, for my enlightenment, what does that mean[?]

Bert H.