In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope for Deer Rifle

StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
My son never used his deer rifle, and he needed money, so I bought it off of him. It's a .243 Winchester model 70 compact. I'd like to get a scope for it and do some hunting this fall. Any suggestions on scope selection?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost everyone likes 3x-9x variables, about 40mm objectives. It is probably more than you need, 4x-6x being enough for almost all deer hunting applications, but the resale is higher and prices are decent because they are made in volume. Consider Burris and Leupold as the top of the US made scopes. Take a look at www.bearbasin.com, www.natchezss.com and other on line sites to compare prices and find a good deal. Try not to be too cheap, good optics are probably more important than an expensive rifle as even economy rifles shoot better than most of us. Nikon is my third choice and Bushnell & B&L, are really decent for the price in the economy scopes. Other folks have other favorites as well, and you may too. Try to handle and look trough some scopes in local shops before you buy.
  • Options
    StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply He-Dog. What determines ability to fix on target quickly? Would that be the 40mm objective? In cabela's catalog there is a 3-9 Leupold, matte finish with D (4-10) reticle, and 50 mm objective. I know the 3-9 is the variable power. What do the other numbers mean and would that be a good choice?

TIA,
    Joe
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Email sent, StihlCuttinIt - check your box.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since this is a compact rifle i assume it's the carbine produced in the mid 80's.
    In keeping with the compact size and also to keep it light in weight i suggest the Leupold vari x-1 in 2x7 with Leuopold bases and mounts.
    That is exactly the set up i put on my Rem 600 Mohawk in .308 and it's great.
    Another scope in this catagory is the Simmons Whitetail Expedition in 1x6 power.
    Good luck and good hunting.

mike
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I have a M70 Featherweight with a short Leupold 1.5-5 and really like it especially in wooded areas. Really good field of vision and clarity close-up as well as far. If youre looking for higher power range, I agree with the 3-9 & 2-7 advice given by the others.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ddub may have covered this in his e-mail, but the ability to get on target quickly is a function of practice and field of view. Essentially field of view is determined by the size of the objective and the magnification. A 40mm objective might have, say, a 100' field of view at 3x, but at 9x will be down to maybe 16'. Larger objectives like the 50 do help that a bit, but such scopes become very large and cumbersome for carried deer rifles. My personal favorite is the Leupold Vari-X III in the 1.75-6x. I really never use magnifications over 6x and rarely over 4x, except at the range where the 9x lets me see the holes at 100 yards. Since most hunters buy the 3x-9x scopes the market for used is larger and the prices better on those scopes.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 mm is the diameter of the front of the scope. This is a large size, and is bulky for deer hunting. I would stay away from it, and go with a 40 or 42mm.
    A good scope that is new on the scene is the Sightron. I bought a Sightron S2 for $185 from Ultimate Outdoors, Ultout.com
    This is a 3-9x42mm. This is a high quality scope made in Japan. This is the best price going, it is common to see these for over $200. Very good glass, very clear. It has more eye relief than some of the other scopes, in other words, you can hold your eye a little farther back from the scope.
    ps The Sightron S2 has a lifetime warranty. If anything ever goes wrong, send it in and they will fix it or replace it for free.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice all around for you here. A compact scope would be the way to go for a compact rifle thats for sure. I too like the Leupold 2x7. I would consider buying this scope from a local dealer though since he will probably assist you in mounting the scope and making sure your eye relief is correct which is as important as any other factors involved. Your mail order guys sometimes have the cheaper prices but there are reasons for that being that your getting a refurbished scope or a second that didnt clear factory inspection. The mail order guys buy these refurbs in bulk then sell them off cheap and if you have a problem what to you do ?

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MFI--sounds like you run a gun store.
    If you have a problem with a scope with a lifetime warranty, like a Sightron 2 or a Bushnell 3200, you send it back and they send you a new one for free.
    I agree it is good to buy one in a store if you need help mounting it.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    True , Im talking about the BEC or Cabelas crap people come in with that the ycant sign in or the windage and elevation adjustments dont work. One guy got a scope from one of the mail orders houses that had scope ring marks on it.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?