In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger P89

TAURUS-357TAURUS-357 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I bought a couple hand guns last fall. I have a Kimber 45acp high cap. Nice gun and accurate to. I like the trigger because it dont have a lot of free travel befor it fires. Its right there. It has a solid feel to it but not a lot of travel. I like the way it fires. The Ruger 9mm on the other hand seems like you pull back the trigger forever before it fires. My question is CAN this be changed. I like the feel of the gun in my hand but not the free travel the trigger has. If I could get it to feel like my Kimber I think I would like the 9mm just as much. Any body with advice ?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a used Ruger p89 not long ago with VERY, VERY few rounds through it. It is stainless with a manual safety. The serial # is 312-68063. Could someone tell me when it was manufactured and an approximate value so I can know if I paid too much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a P89 stainless that I bought late '91. It is a pre-ban high capacity with 1 factory 15rd mag and 2 aftermarket 18 round clips. Less than 1000 rounds through it, meticulously cleaned after every use, original locking case and manual. Any ideas what I should be looking to get for it?. I see prices on new ones but was wondering if the high-cap status adds anything to its used value?.

Thanks,
    G
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am considering purchasing a Ruger P89 in 9mm.

Anybody hear anything good or bad about them? I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm and I find the muzzle too light, I get a large jump after each shot. I was hoping the P89, with its full slide and more muzzle weight might be a better shooter.

Thanks to those responding
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much do you think I could get for a stainless Ruger p89 with about 500 rounds through it. It's in excellent shape and has the original grips, Hogue wraparound grips, 2 factory mags, all original paper work, original case, a Fobus Roto-Holster, and double mag holster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger P89 in 9mm Luger and am interested in adding a 30 Luger barrel. I see that the P89 was offered in 30 Luger, Numrich has the factory barrels. Is this a "barrel change" only proposition? Do I need a different spring, anything else?

Does anyone have and use a Ruger P89 in 30 Luger? Like it, not like? I reload so ammo isn't an issue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at purchasing my first handgun. (I have fired handguns before but never owned my own). One of the options I am looking at is the Ruger P89. What can you tell me about it? Good, Bad, anything would be appreciated.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    $350.00 as discribed.........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your gun was in excellent shape and someone was feeling really generous...you might get $350...best guage for what a gun is worth is to look them up on the auction...youll get less at a show but your not paying sellers fees..etc...etc

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I bought one from a guy about to place it on consignment.
    He would have received $250, and I got it for that, plus $30 in FTF fees.
    The shop owner was happy to see the seller walk away with cash; that kind of guy.

Great gun, a little thick for my hand.

When I sold:
    Consignment shop took 20%; I still got my $280.
    It was listed at $389, but I had an agreement to sell for $350 to any LEO or "friend".

It had less then 200 flawless rounds through it.

http://www.ccrkba.org/
    CLICK HERE to see my auctions!
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger is probably the best bargain gun there is..they are reliable,accurate, and cheap...but they still say ruger on them and that means they dont hold value like a sig or hk..used rugers will bew very cheap

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree yet with the good Cap'n as he is taking into acount extra mags, holster, ect. The P89 didn't have as high a retail to begin with as others, either. Still have one, still one of my most accurate, dependable guns, just a little heavy and bulky. To a Ruger fan or a beginner, this would make a great package deal. Biggest problem is there are so many newer wonder weapons, more power, less weight, blah, blah, it's hard to get someone's attention.