In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Francotte .243

tcorbitttcorbitt Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a A. Francotte .243 rifle that was given to me by my Grandfather. He had the weapon made for himself in the late 70's. The gun seems to be of the finest quality with silver inlayed with a gold antelope. I do not know what the weapon is worth or wear to have it accurately appraised. Can someone please offer an opinion. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO SEE MY POST ON THE 28 Ga. THE SAME THING HOLDS TRUE FOR THIS FIREARM .CUSTOM GUNS ARE WORTH WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY AND BECAUSE OF LIMITED MARKET DEALER WORK ON HIGHER MARGINS AN APPRAISEL WILL COST BETWEEN $50.00 & $100.00 AND YOUR BEST BET IS TO LOOK IN yellow PAGES IF YOU LIVE IN BIG CITY OR GIVE US A CITY NEAR YOU AND WE WILL MAKE SUGGESTION THIS IS NOT SOMETHING WE CAN APPRAISE WITHOUT HAVE IN HAND
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live in Austin, Texas. Thank you for the help.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tcorbitt,

Did it look like this?

Added new photos 27 July 04

I posted these photos to show the board something that is visually similar to your rifle. I do not own this rifle and I have no connection with its sale. It is posted merely as an example.

Francotte1.bmpFrancotte4.bmp

Francotte2.bmpFrancotte3.bmp
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tcorbitt
    I live in Austin, Texas. Thank you for the help.

I agree with Perry Shooter, you definitely need a "Hands-On" appraisal for your rifle.

Since you live in Austin, here is the web-site of the Texas Gun Collectors Association. Contact them, I'm sure they will be happy to refer you to a REPUTABLE dealer or collector who will help you.

http://www.tgca.net/

Incidentally, the B B describes no less then (6) types of Francotte custom rifles, with values ranging from $6,000 to $30,000.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The inlay on the rifle below seems quite similar to my rifle (silver inlayed with gold antelope in the same spot). My weapon has some more carvings (basic designs) on other portions of the wood and the wood on mine seems darker. My weapon is bolt action and in pristine condition (no more than a box of shells have been fired through the rifle). Thank you for your help and opinions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Additionally, the weapon has a Zeiss scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nonsense, do you have an idea of what the weapon pictured sold for?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tcorbitt,

I sent the link to you in an e-mail from Gunbroker.com under my screen name. It is not an auction and like I said above, I have no knowledge of this rifle except for using the pictures as an example of what your rifle may look like. IIRC it is still for sale at just under $4000.00 but I don't know and can't judge the condition.

I hope that this helps a little.

Best.

OOPS! Here is the August Francotte website:

http://www.gunshop.com/fran1.htm

And just for fun, another example:

FrancotteGH.jpg

I'm trying to save some space for others to post by re-posting this.

I am aware that your rifle is different. These photos are just examples of Francotte's work and what your rifle is similar to. August Francotte is a custom shop and their rifles are not supposed to be generic cookie cutter look-a-likes. They are crafted for an individual on an individual basis. Take a look at their website, it's pretty impressive.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My rifle seems to have darker wood than the one pictured above and a few more embelishments. Additionally, there is the inlay that I cannot see in this particular picture.

I understand your point that the weapons are different and custom, I was just trying to give some description of mine for comparison to the picture. Thank you for your help and advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have weapon to be able to give specifics. Also, I have some pictures, but i do not know how to load them here.