In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best 3" .45?

dbrighamdbrigham Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm shopping for a 1911-style .45 ACP with a 3: or 3.5" barrel that won't need a trip to the gunsmith for decent sights and trigger. Has to be California certified. I'm looking at the Springfield loaded ultra compact but don't know what else is out there in that range. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

Comments

• Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a Colt Defender .45. Covers ALL of the bases.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    ADDENDUM: Since you want to talk Kimbers, here is a Kimber I'd consider:

ULTRA RCP II (2003): Began production 2003. "Refined Carry Pistol". Black anodized aluminum frame, meltdown treatment with bobbed heel, 3 line ball milled front strap and bobbed grip safety. KimPro finished, melted 3" trench cut slide (no sights), carbon steel barrel, bobbed spur hammer. Black micarta ball milled slim grips, bobbed magazine catch. 25 oz. MSR: $1228 About $950 or so

The standard Kimber Ultra Carry pistols are a little thick for my taste, and the extended beavertail grip safety is completely unwarrented in an ultra-compact carry handgun.

Geez, now you got me surfing the Wilson Combat page.
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_pistol.htm
    I thought they had a 3" BBL handgun at one time ...
    Looking at these guns gets me drooling.
    Guess it's time to take the Colt Gov't out for some fresh air and sunshine tomorrow! [:)]

I pick up a Para C6 in a few days. It should be great; it'd even like slimmer grips if McCormicks sells them. I have the Para CCW7.45, 4.25" barrel, 7.7" overall, and it is 100%.

The Colt? I'd take it also, and switch the grips to slim wood grips.

In a perfect world? The Para CCO (2004) or Companion Carry-Option (pre-2004), with the bobbed beavertail grip safety. They have 3.5" BBLs, but are NOT on the CA-approved list.

Fell free to email me for links to all of these weapons. I've posted them so many times, the guys are getting annoyed with me constantly waving the Canadian (Para) flag[:D]
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HK compact USP...

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • Options
    artnorgasartnorgas Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the forum but will jump right in with my 2 cents. I have the Kimber Ultra Carry and after 2,000 rounds am very happy with it. NOTE: (The finish Kimber uses really does show holster ware!)

Enjoy the day.....
  • Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with originators, the Kimber Ultra Carry is about the best compact 45 out there! Especially for the price! You can look harder, farther, and anywhere else you can think of, but it still comes back to the Kimber! Great gun!!!

BigBarn[:o)]

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Colt Defender....period.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    My vote is for Kimber. [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote is for Kimber.

Reasonably priced with all the bells and whistles, reliable, and very accurate. In fact, some of the Kimber compacts that have been tested shot just as well if not better than the full size 1911 clones.

Heavy[:D]
  • Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the new Para Ordnance Warthog. 3" bbl,10 round mag.,24 ozs,and accurate (1.8" with black hills 230gr @ 50').Msr $749 so it should be less in the real world. July 20 Shotgun news has a rundown on it.
  • Options
    ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the KIMBER Ultra II, Very good gun! I looked at the Defender.. had it side by side with the Kimber... You can tell the difference in craftsmenship, The Kimber was better made. I think that the older defenders are better, my brother in-law has one, and it shoots very good. But the new Colt just does not have it. Kimber will be a lot more to buy, but you pay for what you get...[:)]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
    Thanks for all the help!

IN GOD WE TRUST! *And don't use Pay Pal!