In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&K 91 Variants, which is best?

PathfinderPathfinder Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but the search link is not working.

What is the best H&K 91 clone on the market right now (make and model) and where can I get one? There are so many of them and I don't want a $399 spray paint model. I will pay for quality within reason.

Comments

• Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find a good used Federal Ordnance. Buy it. The receivers have a real good lock up and, the guns are accurate. They also have the integral scope base molded into to the receiver.
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one on another auction sight that was suppose to have a match grade barrel, all steel construction. It looks like an original HK. The seller says he owns one and it will shoot any of the surplus ammo without hanging up. And will shoot match ammo sub MOA. The seller did not put the name of the manufracture on his add. It looks like a well built rifle from the picture. There is a lifetime replacement warnty on the rifle also plus a 3 or 4 day inspection period. He has it listed for $780.00 I believe on ************. Just type in HK-91 and it will come up.

Hornet
  • Options
    PathfinderPathfinder Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SARCO has a PTR 91 advertised for $660 (you can find them on GB for $700+). Sarco's add says the PTR 91 originally had a hexagonal match grade barrel, whatever that is, but changed it to a regular (round?) heavy barrel (could be match grade) to allow it to use surplus ammo without jamming up. I have not seen a Federal make anywhere at all.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Special Weapons SW3 and I would rank the quality right with a true HK. Though as far as clones go it will be in the $1100 to $1500 range. I think Special Weapons is now BobCat arms, but not 100% sure on that.
  • Options
    sutterrogsutterrog Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two FAC clones. FAC is Federal Arms Corp. and have a good reputation as far as clones go. They did sell their recievers to Century, who proceeded to misbuild many of their G3 clones. I have read some negative on the aluminum receivers, something about not being good to mate aluminum to steel barrels. I don't know if that is hooey or not. I like mine real well, seem to be well assembled, and shoot everything I feed them without a hitch. Although I have not shot thousands of rounds thru them, my impression is that they will be servicable for some time. I would like to buy an authentic HK91 but am not sure if the price is worth it. I would have to sell both my cones and add another $1200 or so.[B)]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pathfinder
    SARCO has a PTR 91 advertised for $660 (you can find them on GB for $700+). Sarco's add says the PTR 91 originally had a hexagonal match grade barrel, whatever that is, but changed it to a regular (round?) heavy barrel (could be match grade) to allow it to use surplus ammo without jamming up. I have not seen a Federal make anywhere at all.

I 2nd the PTR 91. By far the best one around. Just about everyone (except century) is using the PTR receivers to make HK type rifles now. Also check out http://www.ohiorapidfire.com
    I have one of their FALs and it is top quality. I've heard great things about their HK types just don't have the dough to pony up yet.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    BabalooieBabalooie Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield SAR8, with the cast aluminum receiver. The price was right and it carries the Springfield lifetime warranty. The warranty is the main reason I bought it.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietsche
    "Only the strong survive."
    - Jerry Butler