In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Huglu Shotguns

shootnstarshootnstar Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any experience with the Huglu shotguns made in Turkey? How are fit and finish? How do they print? Thanks!
He DogWhen only the police have guns, it is a police state.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone here got any opinions about these shotguns made in Turkey? From what I have seen thus far they seem to be well made and worth the money. Any thoughts? Thanks much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been considering purchasing a Huglu side-by-side shotgun. They look nice on their web site, but I am not entirely sure what to expect from firearms made in that corner of the world (Turkey) and Huglus in particular. Any feedback on quality, reliability, and availability of parts/service on these guns would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Guys, Thinking about buying a Huglu U4 sporting shotgun. All I've seen is the website which of course is all praise. Does anybody out there own one? How do you like it. How long have ya been using it? Is it holding up? Parts???? Thanks,Beltfed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had a hunting club member trade me a NIB 20 ga Huglu shotgun. Anyone out there had any experience with Huglu ? It looks good and appears to be fairly high quality but I don't know anything about Huglu.

Keep Your Powder Dry
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no, no, no. btw...what are you going to use it for?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard both sides. One dealer I go to said they're crap, the other loves them. I've got Turkish shotguns and love the features, but they aren't Huglus. I've heard more complaints about Beretta, than Huglu, though. If you like 'em, go for it.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Within the last couple of years they hired some American designers to help in production mods and design. Don't own one and haven't shot one, but they look well made and have some nice wood. By the specs they look like they are a little heavier than the average Brownings or Baretta's.

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen them at the SHOT Show and they look great, with nice wood and metal fit and finish. I know of one "Cowboy" (I think it is - a side-by-side double with 20-inch barrels) that broke its main spring on the first shot. It was replaced under warranty in a reasonable time.

I am a small gauge side-by-side double fan, and the Hulu small gauges look the best for the least money (around $1,000) that I have seen.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Turk by Sarcilmaz, 12 OU. Cost me about $300 couple years ago. Very plain jane with two triggers, extractors, no screw in chokes, etc. Beautiful wood, very good fit an finish. Internal work and machining is very smooth too. Checkering is very good but with quite a few over runs I had to touch up. Haven't shot it a lot but so far I think it was a good money's worth. By comparison, I also have a Russian 20 OU, about the same price with all the bells and whistles but tacky checkering, fair fit and finish, good enough wood but very rough inside, with most small parts made of stamped sheet metal, properly fitted and hardened. Still, a very serviceable shotgun and a good value. References above to inside means parts and areas that you don't see much or have to disassemble to see at all. Bores, chambers etc very good on both.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. After going thru about 6 different Huglu model shotguns which were recently imported, I think these are well worth the money asked for them. Very nice European craftsmanship without the big price. There are 3 different catagories of shotguns made by Huglu...economy grade, middle-of-the-road, and high grade. Only took a few boxes of shells to sell me. Had no problems at all. Huglu has been making shotguns since 1914, so nobody is around that long if they are making total junk. I liked them so well I bought a "few".
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootnstar
    Thanks for the replies. After going thru about 6 different Huglu model shotguns which were recently imported, I think these are well worth the money asked for them. Very nice European craftsmanship without the big price. There are 3 different catagories of shotguns made by Huglu...economy grade, middle-of-the-road, and high grade. Only took a few boxes of shells to sell me. Had no problems at all. Huglu has been making shotguns since 1914, so nobody is around that long if they are making total junk. I liked them so well I bought a "few".

A "few"? You must be single, else your misses would skin you alive. BTW, how many is a "Few"?