In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand tanker 308

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I looked at a Garand carbine at a gun show. It looked new. It was marked "tanker", and was in 308. It looked like a real army issue, not home made. Whats the deal? What is it worth?

Bamavol

Comments

• Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aftermarket commercially made weapon. No historical value. Beach
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark,
    Just wondering-have a customer that against my suggestions, purchased one of those after marker Tankers. It has never shot correctly. The receiver is SA and all the rest is garbage. Do any of these ever function? I am aware of the National Ordance "gems" from South El Monte. Would have mailed you direct but thought perhaps the general
    readers may wish to actually know your personal experiences, if any.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    101, Mark was talking about "SA Inc" rifles, not "SA" rifles. That makes a big difference. Many of the early "tankers" were built on re-welded SA (the government arsenal) receivers; these will never be safe OR reliable.

At least SA Inc is still in business, & will stand behind any rifle they ever made -- lifetime warranty.

All this still begs the question of why anyone would want a "tanker". They are heavy, awkward, & have enough muzzle blast to clear the firing points on either side of you.

Neal
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response. Very educational. Learn something every day.

Bamavol