In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best AK on the market for the price

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
What is the best AK today on the market for the price. Sar1 2 or 3. Bulgarian, Norinco, Hess sory about that. Is the 7.62X39 better than the .223? How about the 7.62 NATO version or the 20ga and 12ga versions. Or is an AK by any other name still an AK and they just work. [8D]

Greg
Former Marine
A N G L I C O

Comments

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know much about the different varieties of AKs. Since you mention the 20ga and 12ga these are not military AKs but are sporting versions called Saiga and are made in Russia by Ismash. If you are looking for a military version I try to find a milled reciever for strength, although the stamped recievers also hold up for much use. Big question is How are you planning to use the rilfe?
    Hunter, plinker, utility rifles?

I can tell you about cartridges though. The 7.62x39 is slightly more powerful than the 30-30 Winchester round - 123 or 154 grain bullet at about 2300 fps. Compare that to the 223 with a bullet half that weight at about 3400 fps. The 308 as you know is about on the 30-06 level about a 147 grain bullet and about 2850 fps.

I would say your choice of caliber depends on your intended use of the rifle.

Regards,

Heavy[8D]
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Greg:
    Your right a AK is a AK, milled or stamped, it works the same.
    As for as ballistic's the 5.54x39(.221) is better than the 5.56 Nato
    But again .30 cal beats a .221 or .223 IMHO.
    Go for the SAR's, hard to beat for the $.
    Some of the AK's that I have been around converted to 5.56 NATO have some feeding problems, plus the mags are more expensive.
    Of the 7.62x39 or the 5.54x39, I like the 5.54x39 for its accuracy, which is about 50% better than the 7.62x39.
    Want to buy a slightly used PRC-41?, kidd'n Guess it would be better than being caught in the TSC-75.
    Walte 2841 also did windows
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I'll go with Walte on this one, the SAR's are a nice AK, especially for the price. I got a NHM91 also and it ain't bad either. The 5.45/5.56mm versions are more accurate but the 7.62x39 round hits a lot harder.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    MastersonMasterson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMACLONE_2
    Greg:
    Your right a AK is a AK, milled or stamped, it works the same.
    As for as ballistic's the 5.54x39(.221) is better than the 5.56 Nato
    But again .30 cal beats a .221 or .223 IMHO.
    Go for the SAR's, hard to beat for the $.
    Some of the AK's that I have been around converted to 5.56 NATO have some feeding problems, plus the mags are more expensive.
    Of the 7.62x39 or the 5.54x39, I like the 5.54x39 for its accuracy, which is about 50% better than the 7.62x39.
    Want to buy a slightly used PRC-41?, kidd'n Guess it would be better than being caught in the TSC-75.
    Walte 2841 also did windows

I like the features of the 5.54x39 caliber, but the advantage of having the 7.62x39 caliber is that you can use the 75 or 100 Round Chinese Drum.. Personally, I think the Romanian ones suck..The Chinese Ones are much easier to handle..
    As far as the best AK on the market, I'de say the Hungarian AMD 65..The one thing I like about it is the fixed folding stock..I never really liked the wood shoulder. High quality rifle....Best there is...
  • Options
    TrooperAllen469TrooperAllen469 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I each have Romanian 5.45. Hers is scoped, mine has a Holosight. I think that each of them are worth more than I paid for them. And the 5.45 cuts a nasty wound channel on a wild dog. Much more brutal than my observation of a 7.62x39.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    How do you guys feel about the SA M5 or the SA M7 Bulgarian AK's?

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bulgarian AK are very nice, but they are notably more money than the Romanian or various other current offerings. The Chinese AK's were very well made and their finish was much better than some of the current crop of AK's out there. Mags are easier to find for the 7.62X39 AK's. Ammo is also cheaper. Longer range accuracy is better with the 5.45 and .223. Ammo for the .223 is easier to find than that of the 5.45. The are a great many factors to consider when looking at AK's in general. I have sold various countries AK's since the mid-1980's. If there are specific questions I can answer, let me know.

LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot my SAR1 side by side with a Bulgarian group size was the same for both rifles. The Bugarians are a little prettier than the Romanians but that's about it. I also own a WASR10 which is pretty rough. I'd say hold out for a 2002 or 2003 serial numbered SAR1 instead of buying a WASR10. If you find a WASR10 somewhere make sure you test how mags work in it before buying it. I bought mine used off a guy and had to file on the receiver to get the mags in and out correctly. I still have to take a little more off to get my drum to work.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like to shoot a lot, get the 7.62 X 39mm. Ammo is very cheap,
    like 1000 rounds for $100. or less. The .308 (7.62 X 51 Nato round)
    is a little more expensive and I don't find plinking with that round as fun as it is so much more powerful and the recoil is much harder on my shoulder.
  • Options
    robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    For 7.62x39 go for a SAR-1 if you can find one for a good price. If not look for a reputable gunsmith to do a good job converting a WASR-10 over to high-cap.

For 5.45x39 I'd go with either an AK-74 build on a nice Bulgarian parts kit, if not go for a SAR-2.

For either of the SARs, give each gun a good once over for any canting.

Whether you want 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 is up to you. 7.62x39 packs more wallop but 5.45x39 is more accurate and has better performance than 5.56x45.

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • Options
    HiPointPunkHiPointPunk Member Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WASR-10 hands down SAR-1's are to hard to get

http://groups.msn.com/HiPointParlor
    Check out Atlantic Firearms for AR-15's and AK-47's
    @ http://www.atlanticfirearms.com