In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which would you choose?

hunterswifehunterswife Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Ok guys...I can't seem to pick one out of these 3. If you could choose just one of these rifles...which would it be? Your opinions will help me make my final decision. You guys have been great and have helped me a great deal. Thanks again!

http://www.savagearms.com/114AmerClassic.htm
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_seven/model_seven_CDL.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_BDL.asp

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for what? deer hunting? I would go model 7
  • Options
    XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the Remington model 700 BDL. I think the model 7 is only available in short action. Which means you can't get it in .30-06, also is a smaller overall rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    for what? deer hunting? I would go model 7

Yeah deer hunting. And I forgot to mention I'm asking about the 30-06's. Sorry for not being more specific...blonde moment[:)] lol!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XLpitman
    I'd go with the Remington model 700 BDL. I think the model 7 is only available in short action. Which means you can't get it in .30-06, also is a smaller overall rifle.

Ok thanks for that info...I guess if it doesn't come in 30-06...that's one less gun I have to pick from. That's good news for me..lol! Thanks again!
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you still want a 30.06 the model seven isn't availible in it. It's too long to fit the action. It can be had in a 308 Win., but recoil is pretty stout with heavy bullets in that light a rifle if that matters.
    Either of the other two would be just fine. It's a coin toss as far as function goes.
    The Remington 700 does offer some additional flexibility down the road if you think it would ever be needed.
    There are loads of replacement stocks, barrels, etc. for the 700. If he ever needed/wanted to replace the stock due to damage or just wanting a different kind (synthetic, laminated wood, different grade walnut, etc.) they are everywhere. Some people like to get a different stock to hunt in bad weather conditions with to keep the other stock nice, etc.
    Same goes for barrels and aftermaket triggers -- Easy to come buy. If he wasn't happy with the 30.06, he could always have a different bbl installed in another caliber like 25.06, 270, or 280. There are new take off bbls everywhere due to the popularity of the 700 being used for custom guns.
    It may never be needed but it gives you more options with the Remington 700.
    If none of that matters, I'd say go for the one you can get the best deal on and put the money you save towards a good scope.
    Just my .02 cents -- Good Luck whatever you do [^].

PS = Sorry - I didn't see the other posts about the 30.06 not being availible in the Model 7 when I started typing this [:0].
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to add your third gun [;)] Take a look at the Browning with the boss system for accuracy and recoil. This is one fine gun anybody would be proud to own.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57179409

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=107
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remington 700 all the way.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 700! Wouldn't touch a model 7 if it came in the right caliber. Savages have a great rep for out of the box accuracy, but they are about as attractive as JustC's unshaved legs. Many competition rifles are built on 700 actions.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Remington 700. It was good enough for Carlos Hathcock to use on the NVA. It should do wonders on your deer.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    700 hands down.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow! You guys sure made my decision easy for me, thank you! I'm going to pull the trigger and get the 700. I also liked the post above about the replacement stocks being easy to find. I spent weeks last year trying to find him a camo stock for another gun...I knew he wanted it really bad and lucky for him, I never gave up! So I like knowing that if he ever hints to me that he wants a replacement for this one, it will be easy to find. Oh for you guys that are interested, I bought him a Lead Sled, I think is the name of it, last year and he absolutely loves it! No recoil at all! He loves to sight in his guns now. Ok just thought I'd give you guys a little review of something in return for helping me,[;)]lol. Oh and our anniversary is in the spring and depending on how generous he is with me this Christmas,lol, I may just need your help again then. Thanks again for helping me and I'm sure he will be thankful for your help too.[:)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't be a stranger. This is an excellent place to learn anything you want about firearms. Good luck, see you soon.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    travelerBTtravelerBT Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    savage's 2 stage trigger is awesome, but it really depends on what you are going to use the rifle for. I think savage makes a great rifle for the money.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Do you have a sister. lol.