In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus or Glock?

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
The pistol would be for a small female with small hands and these are about the only two whose slides she can work. The Taurus is a Millenium in 9mm with stainless slide for $350

The Glock is a model 19, or its smaller version, for $500

Is the quality, accuracy, and reliability of the Glock worth $150 more than the Taurus?

Comments

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't think so. I also dislike the way a Glock feels in one's hand.

D.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My preference would be the Taurus 24/7 in .40. It will drop its mag every time, unlike a lot of Glocks. I also don't like the ergonomics of Glocks, but in the end she will shoot better with the one she is most comfortable with. Could you somehow arrange to get her some range time with examples of each?
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    glock 23 would work nice
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Doug Wilson: Thank you very much, that is an important point to consider...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog: You have asked the super important question. Regrettably, it has been hard to find both models in the Kansas City area. I just happened upon them both at a small gun show. She has already tried lots of other autos and had a tough time with their slides except for the Ruger 95 which is a bit large for her. I was told by a female poster that the Glock 19 is slimer and would work (I did notice it felt kind of strange, the grip, in my hand). I was also told the Taurus would fit the bill with regard to the slide. Guess I need to do what you suggest and that should settle this. I was wondering if their was a big quality difference. Again, thanks for a great post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Nards444: Thanks, I was told that this might be a good choice as well...back to the websites.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are decent firearms, but I prefer the Glock. The bottom line in this choice is what fits her hands the best and which one is comfortable for her to shoot.

My current house gun is a Glock 19 with night sites. It is not my choice, but it was chosen because my wife can handle and fire it well.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're getting ripped on that Taurus. Brand new around here for under 300, making that a $200+ difference. You could spend that extra 200 on ammo to practice with. I have the exact model Taurus, just all black. It's a very nice gun. I've hated Glocks from the first time I've shot one. The Taurus feels really well, is well balanced, very reliable, and easy to point. I'd go with the Taurus. Sometimes it doesn't matter what gun you have, just that you know how to use it, I think this is one of those cases.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    RMAgunsmithRMAgunsmith Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Taurus they stand behind there pistol a lot better than Glock and the Glock barrels are not heat treated all the way through so the center of the barrel is softer that the out side and the rifling. But the most inportant thing is witch one she likes the best and shoots better for her.
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Taurus
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the Taurus,and unless she handled a .40 cal. before stay with the 9mm.[:)]
  • Options
    XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Glocks.